The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright protecting a plugin

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by AndyB78, Jun 10, 2017.

1. AndyB78

AndyB78 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have made a series of bash scripts that deal with some sort of monitoring and protection. I'd like to turn these scripts into a plugin (mostly PHP) that I'd like to be able to sell for a small monthly fee.

Questions:
    - if I turn the bash scripts into PHP code, should I expect better or worse performance than bash? Should I consider other programming languages than PHP? Not that I know any other...
    - I'd like to be able to issue a license for a certain IP and be able to change the license IP (much like cPanel does for itself); are there any copyright enforcing instruments for 3rd party plugins in the cPanel API?
    - for obvious reasons I'd like to encode the PHP scripts; what decoders are available in the cPanel PHP binaries?

Thanks and kind regards!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not exactly a cPanel related question to be honest. You might do better to ask this on a coding support forum of some sort. I dug up this thread on google:
    stackoverflow.com/questions/336057/best-solution-to-protect-php-code-without-encryption

3. AndyB78

AndyB78 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Well, given the fact that this is the cPanel developers sub-forum, I thought these questions might be relevant . At a bare minimum the last question (what de-obfuscation extensions are available into the cPanel PHP binary) I believe is 100% relevant.

Thanks for the link.

Regards!

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Ioncube is installed on most cPanel servers I would think.
    ioncube.com/php_encoder.php