The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

correctly create private nameservers with cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by marcju11, Apr 26, 2013.

1. marcju11

marcju11 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I just bought a VPS server with Godaddy. I have 3 ip addresses and cPanel/WHM. My domain registrar is Hover (Tucows).

Since I only have one VPS and thus only one DNS, what is the purpose of having 2 or more nameservers ? If the DNS goes down, all my name servers are down too.

Some people suggested me to uninstall the DNS on my server and use third party services. However, if someone in cPanel try to create a sub domain, I guess it will not work !

What do you think? what's the best way to create and manage my name servers?

Thanks

#1 marcju11, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't complicate things, the standard cPanel configuration is that you have 2 nameservers in your server, that means that you must have at least 2 IPs (and you have 3).
    The nameservers do not reserve their IPs, so in your case you will have 2 free IPs (the main shared IP reserves one).

3. marcju11

marcju11 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe it's the standard cPanel configuration... but it's useless to have 2 nameservers on the same DNS, no?

4. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well you have those 2 nameservers because you need 2 nameservers. In fact you have only one nameserver but 2 IPs pointing to it.
    Anyway you are free to configure your nameservers as you prefer. You asked a question and I answered telling my opinion.

5. marcju11

marcju11 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's my point. I know that domain registrar ask for 2 nameservers... but what is the purpose of having two nameservers pointing to the same DNS other than this requirement ? And why using two different ips if they are all pointing to the same server ? I just think we are doing it the wrong way because originally the purpose of having two or more nameservers is for redundancy. With only one DNS its useless.

Are they any solutions ?