Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could this be rate limiting

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by keat63, Mar 27, 2017.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've had a customer today tell me that he's getting bounce messages when trying to send us emails.

Code:
    Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

xx@xxx.com

Subject: PURCHASE ORDER - 146103

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

I've checked my exim mainlog and can't see his email hitting my server for the last week or so.
    The odd thing is, he appears to share the same mail server as many other customers, or the emails at least maybe go via some anti spam thing (forecpoint.com cloud security), and I can see these being accepted.

Could my mail server be doing some sort of rate limiting on the IP asscociated with forcepoint ?
    I'd be still unsure why they wouldn't be queued up at the forcepoint end if this was the case though.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

What output do you see in /var/log/exim_mainlog for the affected message?

Thank you.

3. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure what you mean.

I see a number of emails being accepted by my server from the ip associated with this forcepoint thing. All of which coming from different emails and domains.(but same IP)
    However nothing for this customers email since the 20th, despite him sending me at least 3 or 4 emails in this time.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If no entries exist in /var/log/exim_mainlog or /var/log/exim_rejectlog for the delivery attempt, then it suggests the message is held up at the sending server. Is the user sending the email from a remote mail server? If so, have they consulted with the administrator of that mail server to determine if the message delivery attempt is rejected, or queued, for a specific reason on that remote mail server?

Thank you.

5. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure how the sending works from his end.

The customer has his own domain, but shares the same sending server as a number of other customers, each of which have thier own domain.
    The odd thing is, whilst I was checking the logs yesterday evening, an email came through from him.
    Despite the last 4 or 5 over the previous 7 days which are no where to be found.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @keat63,

The best approach to address the issue would be to consult with the administrator of the sending server to see if they can take a closer look at the logs to see what's happening on the delivery attempt.

Thank you.