Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Couple of DNS Issues...

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by fkatzenb, Dec 29, 2009.

1. fkatzenb

fkatzenb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a couple of problems.

1 - Subdomains are not working...
    I had a failed transfer of a very large website. I ended up completing it manually. I found that it properly added the subdomains however it didn't transfer the files. I had to rsync the files over and reassign the group just like I had to do in the /public_html directory. They worked at first, but I diecided to reorganize them with the traditional setup. So I deleted the subdomains, and then created them again moving the files into the directories. Now the subdomains just point to the primary domain.

2 - I have duplicate entries I cannot get rid of. It happened on three of the accounts I moved over to this server from plesk. If I run a DNS cleanup, I get the following...
    Code:
    Fatal! /etc/named.conf fails named-checkconf, please repair named.conf and try again /etc/named.conf:152: zone 'turbo-mopartimes.com': already exists previous definition: /etc/named.conf:122 /etc/named.conf:218: zone 'kjkinteriors.com': already exists previous definition: /etc/named.conf:128 /etc/named.conf:368: zone 'turbo-mopartimes.com': already exists previous definition: /etc/named.conf:338 /etc/named.conf:434: zone 'kjkinteriors.com': already exists previous definition: /etc/named.conf:344 Cleaned up 31 zone(s) on ns1. Cleaned up 31 zone(s) on ns2. 
    I am running my own nameservers using cPanel DNS Only. Suggestions? I don't know which ones to manually delete. I tried removing one of them, but it eventually came back.

Thanks,
    Frank

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anyone?

Thanks,
    Frank

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Make sure the DNS records are properly set for the new subdomains though pretty difficult to forward an exact solution without taking a look at the server. Have your hosting company Or hire someone to look into your issue...

4. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here is some more about issue 2...

Basically I have duplicate entries in my Edit DNS Zones. If you run DNS cleanup, it crashes with the error I listed above. If I remove what appears to be the duplicate entry, it removes the other entry and the site no longer works. I basically cannot make both of them disappear.

If you read thru named.conf, you see duplicate entries in there. I tried manually removing from there and they just reappear. Here they are and represent the troubled domains...

Code:

zone "TURBO-MOPAR.ORG" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/TURBO-MOPAR.ORG.db";
    };

zone "turbo-mopar.org" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/turbo-mopar.org.db";
    };

zone "turbo-mopartimes.com" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/turbo-mopartimes.com.db";
    };

zone "TURBO-MOPARTIMES.COM" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/TURBO-MOPARTIMES.COM.db";
    };

zone "KJKINTERIORS.COM" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/KJKINTERIORS.COM.db";
    };

zone "kjkinteriors.com" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/kjkinteriors.com.db";
    };

There is no duplicate entry for them in httpd.conf.

Thanks,
    Frank

5. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Any thoughts?

6. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

I would recommend you to have someone look into your server as this issue need some investigation.