The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of suggestions for improvement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jez9999, Jun 25, 2005.

1. jez9999

jez9999 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of suggestions for improvements to be made in a future release of cPanel, that have been bugging me for a while now:

1) Allow the docroot of a subdomain to be selected, rather than public_html/whatever. This only requires a small amount of extra code, and changing the DocumentRoot directive for each vhost block.
    2) Don't associate addon domains with subdomains. I'm not sure why cPanel has been programmed this way; it seems like a more complex way to do things. Why not just specify the addon domain name, and a docroot for the addon domain? No need to create a subdomain for it.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. jez9999

More of a personal note than anything else here.

Another thing that should be allowed to be disabled is the ScriptAlias that aliases /cgi-bin/ to the main cgi-bin.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What kind of improvement are we talking about here? How will that improve the CPanel and in what way? When you present a suggestion, you need to discuss the reason behind your ideas/suggestions.

5. jez9999

Andy: um, I thought I did discuss the points in my first post.

Allowing the docroot for subdomains to be chosen by the user would be relatively easy to code, and allow the user more flexibility, which is simply better than currently(?)

Not associating addon domains with subdomains would eliminate the current unnecessary (and rather annoying) association. There's no particular reason a subdomain should have to coexist with an addon domain, and it's even more annoying that cPanel deletes the associated subdomain if you delete the addon domain (you might wish to keep the subdomain!)