The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Courier-Auth Mail Authentication Problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hillbilly1980, Jan 19, 2007.

Fire the newbie

Poll closed Jan 26, 2007.
  1. Yes, i like to sleep in the morning.

1 vote(s)
  2. Give them another shot, we all make mistakes

0 vote(s)
  3. No, i'm on call and i'm making alot of overtime

0 vote(s)
  4. Meh! Stop whining.

2 vote(s)
  1. hillbilly1980

hillbilly1980 Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm posting this pre-emptively to help cause i'm probably the first to notice mail is broken on the Release branch this morning. Maybe. Maybe it's just me but i doubt it with this string of breakages.

ON the Freebsd Release Branch, my update ran this morning and courier-auth users got recreated among other things. After the update mail authentication was left broken, a simple restart "/script/restartsrv_courier" did the trick and solved the problem.

This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks that the midnight update has left the mail server un-operational. I'm sure i'm not the only one who's noticed. Each times it something silly.

First the mail server required a restart after an update, exim.conf files were replaced and such and the the update service simple left the process running. Restarting exim fixed the problem.

Second exim unconverted itself from maildir and started placing new mail in the wrong location, running the conver2maildir on a cronjob every 20 minutes gave the illusion of mail delivery till the next nights update fixed the problem.

Third - courier-auth is updated tonight and left turned off by the update script. Giving users a continual prompt for their mail password.

Now i love people and getting fired sucks, but i'm starting a vote for whoever the new hire is to be fired. If this is a fluke of coincidence then i apologize but 3 break in 2 weeks. I dunno feels like a newbie to me.

1 vote for firing the newbie.

Cast your votes.
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    There's no need for a poll for this. If you've found a reproducible bug log it with cPanel to make them aware of the issue.