The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Courier imap accounts stops working on iphone with IOS6 update?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by techguide, Sep 26, 2012.

1. techguide

techguide Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi, we have cpanel server that is on WHM 11.32.4 (build 14) running Courier as our mail server. We have iphones configured on various domains on this server to use IMAP and those email accounts have been working fine from iphones with IOS5 on them. Some of our customers have upgraded their phones to IOS6, and their cPanel IMAP email accounts stop working on their iphones. No amount of fiddling with the account settings will get the account to work again. They cannot send or receive from the account any longer. They receive the message "can't connect to server". We are finding that they have to delete their account and then set it up again. With the exact same settings and then they work again. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or any ideas on how to further troubleshoot this as I'm sure it is going to happen more frequently soon. Thanks.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Dovecot is now the default choice in cPanel as it can be configured far more. Not the answer you're looking for I'm sure, but just wanted to add that.

3. techguide

techguide Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Upon further investigation, a lot of provider's IMAP accounts stop working after IOS6 update, including Google, and Ms-Exchange email accounts. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with only cPanel imap accounts.

Seems some users lose their email access and others don't. Some googling shows lots of postings about this problem. And the generally-working solution is to delete the account off the iphone, power off iphone and re-add it the account.

Some users reported instead of deleting and recreating their imap account, if they went into Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings, power off, power back on, that then their email account would start working.

Regardless, get ready for some support calls about not being able to connect to the mail server from iphones, and realize that there is probably nothing wrong with your servers, and it is probably an ios6 issue. :(

#3 techguide, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. techguide

techguide Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    InfoPro - yes, I'm aware of Dovecot vs Courier

In this instance, it doesn't seem to matter whether dovecot or courier. Checked with others running Dovecot and the same thing is happening intermittently with users using IMAP on iphones upgrading to IOS6. Haven't heard of any POP issues yet, only IMAP account problems.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No issues here with iOS6.

6. Astral God

Astral God Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No problems here with iOS6 and Google Apps or MS Exchange; i've allways had problems with iOS and cPanel Dovecot (messages aren't deleted, sent messages are not synched...).

7. serichards

serichards Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi.

I'm trying to get iOS email working correctly with either courier or dovecot. Folder subscriptions don't work properly, you can't delete mail. I've tried re-adding the account and every IMAP directory path fiddle and it just doesn't work. Thunderbird works fine with a variable set of settings. Mac os Mail works ok. Same settings with iOS and they just don't work. If you have the folders visible then you get a 'Mail server not responding' error if you try and go into them. Trying to delete something gives you the 'unable to move message to folder Trash' error.

I have no idea whether it is a) a bug in iOS or something to do with the lack of Inbox folder in the directory structure. This has been flagged up to me as a potential cause as it is a non standard way of doing things.

I'd just like iOS mail to work!

I've not had a non iOS 6 device so I have no idea whether all these issues have appeared since 6 or it is something wrong server side which is causing the problem.

Any ideas how this issue can be fixed?

8. techguide

techguide Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi serichards:
    I have not experienced the problem "Mail server not responding" if I try and go into the subfolders on an cpanel IMAP account from an iphone, on either ios 5 or ios 6.

I have seen the error "unable to move message to folder Trash" error. Every new cpanel imap account I have set up on an iphone has received this error until I follow these instructions and explicitly set the folder that deleted messages should be put in. To fix that, I went into Settings, Mail, Selected the account in question, on the IMAP screen, selected the account again, now you should be on the IMAP Account Information screen. Scroll down and select Advanced. On the next screen, you have mailbox folders that you can select for Drafts, Send and Deleted. I have always had to explicitly set these three folders and then when I delete a message, the "unable to move message to folder Trash" error goes away. My deleted mailbox folder is set to Trash.

Hope that works for you.

9. serichards

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi.

I've done the explicit folder setting. It still gives me the same error about the trash folder. I've done that with the Imap server directory set to the default / and the suggested Inbox which is another work around. It just doesn't work with any possible combination. I have spent hours with the stupid thing trying every possible combination I can think of. Nothing works.

I've also tried triage and that can't create folders even though it seems to see them all too. Sent/drafts and trash do work fine though so I use that for quickly deleting unwanted email. It's infuriating. Settings work in Mail fine. It works in Thunderbird fine without messing with anything but Mail on an ipad/iphone it's terminally broken.

I've deleted and re-added the account numerous times too. I'm at a loss. Even my rubbish nokia could manage this.

What is even stranger is that just now I deleted the account, yet again. Shut down ipad. Started it up. Added account with *identical* information. No folders showed up in the advanced folder choice setting. I went into mail app. Then went back into settings and set the folders, just as I had done before. Now it works. Now folders can be gone into! I shall try the same method with the iphone. It must be some kind of bug that if you do not do the steps in the precise order with a freshly added account it just won't ever work.

I do not understand how with identical settings folders continually can't be opened and browsed. And then they do. It's baffling.

#9 serichards, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. techguide

techguide Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Sorry serichards, no other ideas from me. Maybe you should open a ticket with cPanel so they can look into it?

11. serichards

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Good idea. I'd like to get to the bottom of why there are problems with iOs rather than any other platform.