The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

courier imap only for localhost

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mozai, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mozai

Mozai Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When using WHM, in Home »Service Configuration »Mailserver Configuration , I can see checkboxes for turning on/off four protocols: imap, imaps, pop3, pop3s. I understand that imap is required to be turned on for webmail services, but it should not need to listen for outside connections, only for connections on localhost [127.0.0.1] or [:::1]

I wish to tell courier not to listen on 0.0.0.0:143 and 0.0.0.0:110 for (insecure) imap and (insecure) pop3, but still listen on 127.0.0.1:143 and 127.0.0.1:110. How would I do this?

Alternately, I would like to know how to set iptables rules via WHM/cPanel to shield these tcp ports from connections from the outside. I worry if I use iptables from the command line, WHM/cPanel will wipe out my changes without warning. I have only found "Home »Security Center »Host Access Control" which only lets me name the daemon, not the interface. This would be bad, because if I tell couriertcpd it to stop listening to outside connections, that will block all four protocols, not just the two insecure ones.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator