The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Courrier accounts migrating to dovecot server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pagchen, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pagchen

pagchen Member

Hi,
    I am about to migrate Cpanel accounts that currently use courrier mailserver to another box set to dovecot.
    Is there any conversion I need to do prior to migration so users don't have unexpected behaviors like read messages shown as unread etc.; I have full control of both boxes.

Many users are using IMAP protocol and/or webmail without pop downloading.

Thanks for any insights,

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Assuming you're already using maildir format [and I'm betting everyone is after all these years], there should be no difference in read/unread messages.

Read messages are stored in the /cur folder under the email account or subfolder of an email account. New messages are stored in /new. So, when you migrate they are still going to retain the same read/unread status. This is true regardless of whether the messages are in the Inbox or in a subfolder created in the mail account.

To see what differences [in behavior] you might experience between the two, go to WHM --> Mailserver Selection in one of your WHM's. Basically, the only difference worth mentioning is the fact that in Dovecot the "Trash mailbox is not automatically expunged."

M

3. pagchen

pagchen Member

Thanks mtindor, totally makes sense.

Do you know if I first need to change one of the two mailserver to fit the other prior to migration or is migration taking care of seemlessly converting courrier to dovecot accounts while migrating ?

Thanks.

4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't say for sure since I do run only Courier, but I am 97.6325% confident that you don't need to do anything at all :) You can migrate back and forth between Courier and Dovecot all day long.

Mike

5. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, I will add one thing [which you have probably already done]. I'd try to set similar limits in WHM --> Mailserver Configuration. For instance, if you allow a certain maximum # of connections per IP on one box, try to have similar settings on the other box [overall mail traffic differences notwithstanding]. I know I've had to tune # of connections per IP because particular customers may have numerous oft-checked email accounts behind the same WAN/firewall IP address, and thus I had to increase the maximum # of connections per IP to accomodate. If I were to move that customer to another server, I'd want to make sure I have accounted for them by also increasing the max # of connections per IP on that server.

Mike

6. pagchen

pagchen Member

An important point for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll set a test account tonight and try to migrate it to see if the conversion takes place. I guess so as it would otherwise been specified on the migration instructions, but I'd rather find out before than after.
    Cheers,

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't blame you. That's always the better option when available.

Good luck!

Mike