The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpAddon Wordpress Version Conflict

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoelAlejandro, Apr 10, 2012.

1. JoelAlejandro

JoelAlejandro Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have multiple users on my CentOS 5.7 server with WHM/cPanel, who have installed WordPress 3.2.1, and eventually did a manual update to 3.3.1, from Wordpress itself.

Now the version of WP for those users doesn't match th one detected by cPanel, and of course, "Upgrade" doesn't work because the directory can't be cleaned (WP is already working there).

I've looked on the .cpaddons folder of each user account, and there's a YAML file there, but I'm not sure how can I touch that file for solving this issue.

Is there any way to tell cPanel that those WP installations are in fact, 3.3.1?

2. keithl

keithl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've been trying to resolve the same situation here, where at least one user has updated their Wordpress installation from within Wordpress itself rather than from within cPanel, and now cPanel and WHM show a conflict with Wordpress, report that they still have the old version (and therefore continue to alert them that they need to update) rather than the new version.

I've had a look at the .yaml file (using a test account), and think I've found a fix, though I don't know how useful it will be if you have a lot of accounts like this. If you edit the yaml file, just under the username details, but above the version_key entry (after which you get the list of files so it's easy to find) you'll see an entry for "version:". Simply edit that the correct version number and once saved cPanel and WHM will report the correct version details again. You probably want to use an account that has been properly upgraded for comparison, since the format seems little inconsistent. Eg with 3.1 the entry was "version: '3.1'", while with 3.3.1 it was "version: 3.3.1" with no single quotes.

Needless to say you should make a backup of the config file first, and one thing I can't test is whether upgrades from cPanel will now work again on that account, since it's now on the most up to date version, so won't know that until the next version is released.

3. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

Hello,

If you've already done a manual update, then updating only the 'version' key in the ~/.cpaddons/ YAML file might look like it did the trick but this will likely cause other problems later (e.g. the manifest will be for the wrong version so later upgrades and uninstalls will probably have problems).

For now it is recommended to choose one method–cPAddons or manually–and stick with it.

If you want to change to manual management of it simply remove the the ~/.cpaddons/ YAML file for the installation.

I've created an internal case outlining what would need done to make a little utility that’d do the heavy lifting given the installation and version it was manually updated to. Until then tread lightly ;)