The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpAddons - Where do I start?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by nickp666, Jan 14, 2008.

1. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

I would like to take a moment to complain about the f*****g pathetic documentation for cpAddons creation, I have never seen such an uninformative and unorganised set of documentation.

I am interested in creating some cpAddon scripts for some popular open source software, some internal projects and some updated ones for scripts that are already in the cpAddons system that are out of date.

I read the cpaddons documentation at: http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cpaddons/

yet I am still none the wiser of what I am actually supposed to do to create the necessary files and install procedure, even given the example module that is displayed there, whoever wrote the documentation neglected to even mention that the file needs to be called addon.pm

does someone have an example package, or even some documentation that actually makes sense?

TIA

2. xrserver

xrserver Well-Known Member

"I would like to take a moment to complain about the f*****g pathetic documentation for cpAddons creation, I have never seen such an uninformative and unorganised set of documentation."

If your asking for help that is a poor way to start.

3. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

sorry but I fail to see how, im not criticising the community here as I know full well how resourceful and informative a lot of the guys here are, the dig was at cPanel themselves for poor documentation...

4. lazzymonk

lazzymonk Member

i have to agree. the people who post on these forums know a lot and are very helpful. but cpanel them selves suck when it comes to documenting how to use the apis and what not.

ive spent days trying to find a list of api1 functions but have been totaly unsuccesfull.

5. cidadecyber

cidadecyber Registered

I would have to agree

I would have to agree information is not given freely by the staff

I am desperate to put together an addon but without 6 degrees and 5 certifications its likely impossible, given the information available.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What are your specific complaints? What would you like to see in the cPAddons documentation?

7. rack::SPEED

rack::SPEED Member
    PartnerNOC

Full ack. - Setting up working directory and build the tar archive is very easy. But how to deploy it? I tried manual and sync server solutions over hours without any result.

I'm looking for some tipps. - Thanks!

8. fergaquantum

fergaquantum Registered

Im not agree

Fellows,
    Please remember that this is ONLY A FORUM. This is not a support center. If you need some specific help about your cpanel copy, do the same i have done. Just open a support ticket in "contact cpanel" section inside whm.
    Try to find the helpfull info where the rigthway is.