The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel 10.9 End-of-life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Dec 7, 2007.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know that the licensing servers for cPanel 10.8 were shut down last weekend. Is there any time table for the licensing servers for cPanel 10.9 being shutdown?

I have just a handful of servers that are still running cPanel 10.9 and they are running old operating systems. If the cPanel 10.9 licensing servers are going to be shut down relatively soon, then it would make better sense to apply pressure to get these servers upgraded. However, if 10.9 is not going end-of-life any time soon, and the owners of those servers really don't want to go through an OS upgrade and a cPanel 11 upgrade, then I would be willing to keep them on 10.9.

I realize that cPanel no longer supports 10.9. I realize that if any problems are encountered on these older servers, then the only solution might be to upgrade the server.

There may not be a deadline set in stone, but what I'm looking for is just a ballpark figure. Will the cPanel 10.9 licensing servers be shutdown in a couple of weeks? A couple of months? 6 months? A year? Any type of ballpark figure would be helpful.

I'm sure that this is something that only the cPanel developers can answer. I know this isn't an official means of communicating with cPanel, but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

Thanks

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There currently is no timeline for this. It will be probably be early 2008. The 10.8 deadline has also been extended to the end of the 2007. However the security model in 11.x is vastly improved over 10.x so it might be unwise to continue to run 10.x given the option.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Nick for the reply.

The servers that are running 10.9 are some servers that we rent out for some other people. In the past they have been a little unwilling to do an upgrade. My preference would be that they do upgrade.

If the deadline for cPanel 10.9 is early 2008, then this would serve as good fodder to help them understand why it is a good idea to do the upgrade now.

Thanks