The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel 11.25.5 Chown and chgroup issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maderite, Nov 4, 2009.

1. maderite

maderite Registered

ok we justrecovered froma major hack on a server and set up a new centos box and installed latest release cpanel and whm.

After entering into a couple clients accounts cpanel via whm to make some changes in files on sites etc all of the sudden the unexpected happened we got no records found in cpanel file manager.

I logged out and logged into theyre cpanel via client acess and the same thing.

after studying further we noticed that the whole file tree for clients account lost its ownership completely.

After running chown and chgroup it all came back.

Has anyone else encountered this problem in the newest release???

whats even more amazing is i could go into server via ssh and see the files everything but in cpanel root cpanel client side and in ftp it showed no records and this was all of a sudden i was chmodding a file permission when it happened

I thought at first that maybe it was my error but later i was working on another account and guess what the same thing all over again.

Is this maybe a bug in the 11.25.5 ???

it gets weirder i had a clients database the suddenly was missing a table so i went into theyre account and same thing happened i then proceeded to create the table in phpmyadmin from root in whm i cretaed the table went back to the site and it told me the table was still missing.

i checked phpmyadmin and there it was still.
    i chowned the user home directory and all of a sudden it was fine..

this has really got me scratching my head!!!!

we rolled back to last stable release but really liked the new release it seemed to make the server run with alot better load.

maybe someone else can explain tome whats happening!!!

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Assuming when the new server was setup there was data migrated or copied from the old system, what exact methods were used to perform the data migration from the old server to the new server?

To clarify, what is an example full file system path of the directory structure that exhibited the issue?

There is not yet a version "11.25.5"; however, at the time of writing there is version 11.24.5 in the RELEASE and STABLE build trees, and version 11.25.0 in the EDGE and CURRENT build trees. If available, what was the full version number and build tree in-use on both servers at the time of the data migration?

3. maderite

maderite Registered

ok the build tree i am waiting on a answer from i do know the data was restored from account backups one by one in system

and the path to the files affect were the actual home directories of the users and file structure under basically /home/user and everything under it