Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cpanel 11.40 / dovecot 2 authentication error

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by d_t, Nov 7, 2013.

1. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

I upgrade a server with courier to cpanel 11.40 then switch to dovecot. Strange errors appear on authentication and blank webmail pages:

/var/log/maillog

Code:
    Nov  7 07:35:39 s5 dovecot: auth: Fatal: execv(/usr/local/cpanel/bin/dovecot-wrap) failed: Permission denied
    Nov  7 07:35:39 s5 dovecot: auth: Error: checkpassword(user123@domain.dom,123.123.123.123,<YK7Loo/qTQCynLG/>): Child 15910 exited with status 84
    Nov  7 07:35:41 s5 dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<user123@domain.dom>, method=PLAIN, rip=1
    Code:
    # ll /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dovecot-wrap
    -rwsr-x--- 1 root root 9176 Nov  6 22:25 /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dovecot-wrap*

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    Code:
    PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function logout_error() in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/plugins/login_auth/functions.php on line 282

Upgrade to 11.40 was 100%completed with no error. No client was able to authenticate on pop3/imap. Switched back to courier until you fix this error.

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please open a ticket using the link in my signature. This problem is likely a symptom of a problem with your system's rpm database. The correct permissions for dovecot-wrap on 11.40 are as follows.

# ls -l /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dovecot-wrap
    -rwsr-x--- 1 root dovecot 9176 Apr 9 2013 /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dovecot-wrap*

3. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

From your message, looks like the group was not set to dovecot. I set it, swith back to dovecot but now all users get authentication error:

Code:
    dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=
    It happens again on a distinct server where automatic updates ran few hours again.

Ticket means remote connection to server and debugging. I cannot do this for a production server.

yum update reports no update. /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix run with no message.

4. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I had the same problem and fixed it with this command:

Basically fixes the missing permissions problem.

I hope that helps someone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...