The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel 11 release notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt_Carey, Jun 6, 2007.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

is there any step by step guide to upgrading to cpanel11?

issues like mbox/maildir (forgot which one I am using), mysql 4 to 5, apache 1.3 to 2 and php 4 to 5, that's a lot of difference.

Even the exim and spamassassin has changed. Any pre-config setup to make sure upgrade works smoothly?

What about users who installed mailscanner and fantastico? And pre-config needed?

Hope someone would be kind enough to come up with some sort of guide.

Thanks in advance.

2. jameshsi

jameshsi Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I got a new box prepared for CPanel11 for testing purpose, how should I do to install the newest version of cpanel 11 ?
    I mean if for normal install, it should begin with cd/home and sh latest, for cpanel 11, what should I do ?

3. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

if you are running a new installation, Cpanel 11 is default installed as the installation script is downloading the Release version which is now running Cpanel 11.

4. tmunk

tmunk Member

BSD Ports not working - needed to install Perl5.8.8

Since my server auto-updated to Cpanel 11, I get an email asking me to update Perl to 5.8.8 and the email gives a nice step-by-step commandline walkthru for Linux systems, but just tells BSD users to "On FreeBSD based systems, you will need to install Perl from ports."

so I attempt to do this:

When i go to WHM>Install A Port and search for "perl", i get this message:

Searching for Ports...
    Click on the path to the port to install it!

The search target requires INDEX-4. Please run make index or make fetchindex.
    No ports found

Some more detailed info about installing the Perl5.8.8 port manually in BSD would be appreciated, since the WHM ports utility is apparently borked with the update. Thanks!

5. kinetix

kinetix Member

cpanel Stable version?

Hello,
    I see that it is many release version but no new stable version.
    I use cPanel 11.23.6-S27698.
    What is the way and rules one version move from Release to Stable?

Regards,

6. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

You can change your update preferences in WHM the 'Update Config' menu. There you can choose between STABLE, RELEASE or CURRENT

STABLE builds are updated the least frequently and have the most testing and least features.

RELEASE builds are a balance between features and testing which most find to be the best for production servers.

CURRENT builds are updated frequently and therefore have less testing in between updates but more features. Those who are comfortable with both cPanel/WHM and Linux can use these builds without issue.

7. kinetix

kinetix Member

Thank you for your answer, but When would be public new stable version?
    And I mean that for example:
    First version is in state EDGE, after month if there is no problems the state was changed on Current, after that on RELEASE and after 3 months for example if release are no chaging this version will be Stable.

Regards,

8. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

There's not a set development line because everytime, there is a different set of issues to tackle. EDGE is published quite frequently, weekly, if not more often. CURRENT is published approximately monthly. RELEASE is somewhere around every 2-4 months. STABLE typically is around every 6 months.

The above is not set in stone as there are tons of factors that can either speed up or delay one or more branches which in turn effects all other branches. It's likely that you'll see a new STABLE within a month of so of today but that's only an estimate.

If you're looking for a specific feature that is available in RELEASE, it should not be an issue to switch to RELEASE from STABLE. I wouldn't recommend bouncing say from STABLE to CURRENT, or swapping builds with frequency however going from a less frequently updated build to a more frequently updated build is typically not a problem.