The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel 11 Testing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by logikstudios, May 5, 2007.

1. logikstudios

logikstudios Well-Known Member

Hi. I am thinking of upgrading my server to cpanell 11, but i think i am going to wait for the upgrade problems to sizil out.

What testing has Cpanel done, if any to try an make the transistion smooth from cp10 to cp11?

Thanks,

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not a cPanel developer so I cannot speak for them.

cPanel utilizes a 4 release system. You'll notice that there are people who are using EDGE, CURRENT, RELEASE, and STABLE.

The Edge release is really the only version that cPanel is working on. You'll see a lot of commotion now because they are bumping up cPanel 11 which was in Edge up into Current, and then on up the ladder. This is like a transitional period. As issues come up those issues are fixed in Edge and Current (up to whatever release tree cPanel 11 is up to).

Edge is where the most changes occur. cPanel 11 has been on Edge for quite some time, but there are fewer people that run Edge. Administrators that run Edge are usually pretty saavy and work with cPanel in letting the developers know what is wrong and what should be fixed.

Current is a release build that is a step above Edge. There are more people that run Current than Edge. Generally when a new version of cPanel is released (like cPanel 11), once it reaches Current, then this is a sign that the version is getting ready to be rolled out and become the defacto cPanel standard.

The Release build is generally considered the standard cPanel version. Once a version of cPanel reaches Release, then it should be relatively stable. There might be a few minor things that need to be changed, in which case they will usually be fixed quickly. There are more people that use Release than Current.

Stable is the final build. It means what it says. When the release reaches Stable, it should be stable. Stable is the ultra-conservative release. I'm not sure if its true to say that more people run Stable than Release, but by the time a cPanel version reaches Stable it has gone through a lot more testing.

So the cPanel testing system is like a pyramid system. It starts out in Edge. Then goes to more people in Current. Then even more people in Release. Then finally hitting stable. As more and more people test out a cPanel release, there more eyes to look over the code and the system and to see if anything needs changing. There may be a bug in cPanel 11, that all of the Edge users did not pick up on, but someone that is running Current did. There might be another bug, and it takes someone that is running Release to catch it. Generally, by the time a build reaches Release, enough users in Edge and Current have tested the system and have picked out most of the major bugs.

3. logikstudios

Hi. My question really was, have cpanel really tested upgrading from cp 10 to cp 11. For example. You might have a stable CP 10 and have then upgraded it to the current. Have they tested it like that.

Thanks,

#3 logikstudios, May 5, 2007
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Of course :)

5. logikstudios

Why are people haveing so many problems then?

Thanks,

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Upgrading from Cpanel 10 to Cpanel 11 is a piece of cake and everything upgrades
    perfectly fine without any real concerns just be setting your update tree to EDGE and
    running "/scripts/upcp --force" and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Since Cpanel 11 is a major upgrade, I recommend a server reboot after updating.

NOW WITH THAT SAID ...

One common point of confusion is upgrading to "Cpanel 11" vs. "Apache 2" which
    are two totally separate things. While you need Cpanel 11 to be able to upgrade
    to Apache 2, you don't necessarily have to upgrade to Apache 2 because you
    upgraded to Cpanel 11 and it is actually the Apache 2 upgrade that is the thing
    that keeps running into problems.

Unlike Cpanel 11 itself, the upgrade process to Apache 2 (easyapache) is indeed
    still broken; However, the mistakes that easyapache makes are ridiculously
    easy ones to fix by hand after you finish running easyapache. Mostly just
    typographical errors in the httpd.conf file and that's pretty much it.