Cwebz

Jan 19, 2006
Minnesota
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
since the version is on edge I am wondering if I should update it now or just wait until the june 13 for a stable version of cpanel 11 ??

silversurfer

Dec 29, 2002
Step 3 is not needed once you update to Perl 5.8.8. The SARE rules works fine then, as the bug uncovered by Spamassassin 3.2 is fixed in 5.8.8. For a while, Spamassassin was running as nobody as well although that seems to be fixed now. However if not, you may need to chown /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin to nobody.

You may also need to force an update of Compress::Raw::Zlib and Scalar::Util as some of our servers DNS stopped working after that.

If you have the script installers from the plugins, they may stop functioning too. This seems to be due to the fact that previously, the YAML files are owned by root. If you come across this, you would need chown them to the account owner. I wrote a simple script, but I leave it to your own devices as well.

If you have any host restrictions on tcpwrappers, such as on denying all by default on hosts.deny, you would need to add the following to hosts.allow:

cpaneld : ALL
whostmgrd : ALL
webmaild : ALL

Otherwise you would be completely lockout of Cpanel / WHM and Webmail after the upgrade till you add the above.

If you run Fantastico or Rvskin, please make sure you update them to the latest. Otherwise certain things may stop functioning.

BamaStangGuy

Feb 15, 2007
This (mbox -> maildir conversion) is not done automatically with the upgrade. I would personally like to see people stop using mbox, but I realize some sysadmins have their reasons for holding out.

The maildir conversion (using /scripts/convert2maildir) for most people works just fine however once in a while you will get a server where 5 or 6 accounts may not work correctly and our techs need to go in and tweak a few things to get those accounts functional again. I would recommend if you are still on mbox and aren't exactly attached to it in any way (e.g. not using something that requires mbox like NeoMail or OpenWebmail) that you consider proceeding with the conversion and if anything goes wrong for any reason, get in touch with us so we can work with you on whatever issues crop up.

FWIW- I know many admins have reported a performance improvement regarding email after converting to maildir.

Seems I am already running maildir. Said it was enabled when I ran that command.

generazn.com

Oct 26, 2003
Impressed

I've just finished installing Cpanel/WHM 11 and so far, I am very impressed that everything seems to be working fine on a CentOS 4.4 machine. I'm currently upgrading Apache to 2.2. Let's see what happens after that... Will my PHP scripts continue to work? Only time will tell...

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I've just finished installing Cpanel/WHM 11 and so far, I am very impressed that everything seems to be working fine on a CentOS 4.4 machine. I'm currently upgrading Apache to 2.2. Let's see what happens after that... Will my PHP scripts continue to work? Only time will tell...
I know 2.2 builds still have a lot of issues, however 11.5.16-EDGE_12521 should handle them a lot better then the first release. I'd recommend 2.0 as it has had much more testing @ this point.

katmai

Mar 13, 2006
Brno, Czech Republic
i will be trying apache 2.0 on the edge tonight. let's see what comes up.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
RedHat Enterprise (RHE4/5) if you want direct OS support from RedHat, or CentOS (v4/v5) if you don't want to fork out for the support license.

ezztro

Nov 11, 2003
**IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Don't kill the process or you'll be left with a lot of half-converted mailboxes and angry clients who aren't getting mail.
Hi

how much time does it takes ? 30 Min, 60, 90 120 ... ?

webignition

Jan 22, 2005
Hi

how much time does it takes ? 30 Min, 60, 90 120 ... ?
It is entirely dependent on the number of mailboxes and the number of messages in each. And the amount of resources available to the server (CPU power/RAM etc) - the lower the resource usage at the time you convert, the quicker the process should be.

Definitely plan to do the maildir conversion during a quiet period and give at least four hours, although this can vary greatly as mentioned above.

ezztro

Nov 11, 2003
Hi,

ok. few minutes with how many mailboxes ? 100 ?

On my server are setup ~ 150 Mailboxes. Thats all. I think, this will not be take 24h to convert the mailboxes ^^

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
The number of mailboxes is not relevant, it's the amount of email in each mbox file that exists in each account together with the available server resources that will determine how long it will take. An example is a client server I did this for recently only had a handful of accounts, but one inbox file of ~5GB and a low spec server and it took around 15 hours to complete. A high spec server could munch through as much in quicker time.

It's not going to be possible to predict how long it is going to take, simply that you should be aware that it could take some time and you should not kill off the conversion processes and allow it to complete.

brendanrtg

Oct 4, 2006
I really wouldn't upgrading to any latest current or release build of CPANEL at this stage.

A lot of things wont work, like mail, account copying, 2 of which we tried.

If you run a couple of servers with different version of CP, you really SHOULD NOT upgrade to 11 at all unless you intend to upgrade ALL YOUR SERVERS to maintain "portability" of your sites.

elyask87

Nov 8, 2006
I followed the steps from the first post (did this few days ago), I had Perl 5.8.7, updated it to 5.8.8, perl -v shows 5.8.8. However in cPanel it still shows as 5.8.7. Should I worry about this or will it automatically show the change to 5.8.8?

Thanks

dyelton

Jan 13, 2006
You can log into WHM or cPanel and click on the "Service Status" and look for exim. It should tell you which you are using.

exim (exim-4.66-0_cpanel_maildir) up
I am showing:

exim (exim-4.63-1_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass)

There are no mbox or maildir entries in the cpanel.config either. Will this be an issue when upgrading to v11? I'm on the release tree.

** Nevermind, it was mbox and have since migrated to maildir

Last edited: