Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

In Progress [CPANEL-18576] Cannot disable mod_bwlimited (requires MPM, endless loop)

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by stephen_adglare, Feb 8, 2019.

1. stephen_adglare

stephen_adglare Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Each time I disable mod_bwlimited under Apache Modules, it asks me to choose an MPM. When I pick one (any of the 4 available), mod_bwlimited is automatically enabled again. Disabling it requires me again to choose an MPM, so we're in an endless loop here.

I'm on CentOS 7, WHM v76.0.18.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Best,
    Stephen

mod_bwlimited_error.png

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @stephen_adglare

After some reproduction of this issue, I discussed this with the team responsible for EasyApache. They are aware of this issue and have a case open for it currently. The case ID is CPANEL-18576.

Ultimately though, that package cannot be removed and it most likely will remain unremovable when the case is resolved as well, as it's a required package. I should also point out that though there is the ability to limit bandwidth usage you don't have to limit your users. You can manage this at WHM>>Account Functions>>Limit Bandwidth Usage.

When there is more information or the case is resolved I'll update here as well.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stephen_adglare

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Lauren,

Great to see this issue is being worked on!
    Thanks for your help.

4. stephen_adglare

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to elaborate a bit more on this... here's an strace output from the web server:

stat("/home/website/public_html/index.php", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=8837, ...}) = 0
    stat("/var/cpanel/bwlimited/_wildcard_.website.net", 0x7ffc849114b0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    stat("/home/website/public_html", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0750, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0

I don't want Apache to check if this user has exceeded bandwidth usage. It's an additional overhead and bandwidth checks don't make sense on a heavy loaded server with only one account (in my case).

For other users having the same problem: you can comment out the module in the file

/etc/apache2/conf.modules.d/490_mod_bwlimited.conf

...so that it reads:

#LoadModule bwlimited_module modules/mod_bwlimited.so

Then restart Apache via systemctl restart httpd.service

Not sure though if that file will be automatically rebuild after an update, so you may want to add a cronjob looking over it.

Being able to get rid of it all together via EasyApache would be great :)

5. stephen_adglare

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Lauren / cPanel,

Any status update so far? Is this bwlimited issue going to be fixed in the next EDGE release of WHM?

Thanks in advance.

6. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @stephen_adglare

There's been no update on this case as of now, I will update here when there is any further information.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...