Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

In Progress [CPANEL-21358] Unable to validate rsync backup destination

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Cyber911, Aug 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cyber911

Cyber911 Member

Hi,

I'm currently testing the new "Rsync" Backup Transport in version 74.0.2.

Current System Specs:
    CentOS 7.5
    cPanel / WHM 74.0.2

I've validated the host, user, password and destination folder by using cli commands, destination port is 23 (not 22) and everything works via cli.

With the same settings used as new backup destination validation always fails with the message

"Error: Validation for transport “Backup (Rsync)” failed: Could not create path directory “server03rs/”: child exited with code 1"

When I connect to the destination via sftp I see the server03rs folder got created and a file in there (tmp.test.10504-1533208029) was uploaded which contains the text

"This is a test file created to determine if backups are operable::
    1533208029"

I can also download this file without problems via rsync cli command, sync via rsync into the folder etc. but the validation always fails.

As I can't find any logs about what's happening here I'm a bit clueless. Did anyone else ran into this problem or is there any way to find out what's exactly happening here?

Server + backupspace are located at Hetzner (Germany), SSH-Support is activated on backupspace.

kind Regards,

Sven B. 8)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cyber911

Cyber911 Member

Hi Michael,

this does not help. I can't enter /../ or /../server03rs/ or /../server03rs as the system declines paths with "." or "..".

I've already tried using "server03rs/" and "server03rs", if I enter the slash after path ("server03rs/") the validation fails with errormessage "Error: Validation for transport “Backup (Rsync)” failed: Could not upload test file: child exited with code 1", without slash ("server03rs") it gives "Error: Validation for transport “Backup (Rsync)” failed: Could not create path directory “server03rs/”: child exited with code 1".

In both cases the folder got created and a file was uploaded into it.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Cyber911,

Can you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at your system to see why the validation process is failing? You can post the ticket number here and I'll link this thread to the ticket.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cyber911

Cyber911 Member

Hi Michael,

Support Request ID is: 10066019

:)

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

To update, here's part of the response to the support ticket explaining why validation failed for the the Rsync backup destination on this system:

I'll update this thread with more information on the status of case CPANEL-21358 as it becomes available.

Thank you.