In Progress [CPANEL-21358] Unable to validate rsync backup destination

feanorknd

Sep 28, 2005
I am being affected by this serious bug.

Did purchase server with Cpanel using Hetzner provider, and did figure out being able to use incremental / rsync backups over Hetzner Backup Space, which is completelly functional if using rsync manually. This way, my hard drive space available is tight and fixed up to my account requirements.

Now, Cpanel is not able to validate a perfectly functional remote rsync source, although using it to copy temp files inside without problems. ¿?¿?

Now I cannot use incremental rsyncs because of this, which will harm me because of CPU/MEM requirements for backups, as well as required space.

And discovered Cpanel development team could not fix this bug for months... :(

Seriously?

Hello @Michael Svendsen,

I don't have a specific time frame to provide at this time. I'll update this thread as soon as a tentative release date is available.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @feanorknd,

The Rsync backup destination type included with cPanel & WHM requires full SSH access to the remote destination due to the need to execute multiple commands over SSH during the backup transportation stage. For example, directory creation tasks and backup pruning tasks are performed via the execution of the mkdir and rm commands on the remote backup destination over SSH.

Backup providers such as Hetzner permit the use of the Rsync command, but they do not permit the execution of additional commands over SSH.

CPANEL-21358 remains open to request a feature improvement to the Rsync destination type so that the additional SSH commands are not required, however I don't have a firm time frame to offer on when we might see a change to the current functionality. I'll continue to monitor the case and update this thread with any new information as it becomes available.

Thank you.

feanorknd

Sep 28, 2005
Great explanation, sincerely

Hope you could improve these in the future. Regards,

Hello @feanorknd,

The Rsync backup destination type included with cPanel & WHM requires full SSH access to the remote destination due to the need to execute multiple commands over SSH during the backup transportation stage. For example, directory creation tasks and backup pruning tasks are performed via the execution of the mkdir and rm commands on the remote backup destination over SSH.

Backup providers such as Hetzner permit the use of the Rsync command, but they do not permit the execution of additional commands over SSH.

CPANEL-21358 remains open to request a feature improvement to the Rsync destination type so that the additional SSH commands are not required, however I don't have a firm time frame to offer on when we might see a change to the current functionality. I'll continue to monitor the case and update this thread with any new information as it becomes available.

Thank you.

Reactions: cPanelMichael