Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED [CPANEL-22560] AutoSSL Warning - Skipping duplicate domains (misconfigured?)

Discussion in 'Security' started by rs200, Aug 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rs200

rs200 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi to all,

last week, on 8 Aug, cPanel on my VPS upgraded automatically to the version 74.0.4

Now i have noticed this warn on the logs of AutoSSL

Code:
    12:59:42 AM WARN Skipping duplicate domains (misconfigured?): mydomain.it www.mydomain.it mail.mydomain.it cpanel.mydomain.it cpanel.mydomain.it webdisk.mydomain.it webdisk.mydomain.it webmail.mydomain.it webmail.mydomain.it
    The warn is repeated for all my domains and subdomains.

Logs prior of 8 Aug didn't show that, so what does it mean? Maybe is related to the duplicate cpanel.mydomain.it webdisk.mydomain.it etc...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Olof likes this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @rs200,

The warning message you see stems from the following case noted in the cPanel & WHM version 74 Change Log:

Fixed case CPANEL-21400: Deduplicate domains in AutoSSL.

It's to notify you that AutoSSL detected duplicate domains and skipped them to avoid errors during the attempt to issue a certificate for the domains added to the account.

As far as why it's detecting duplicate domains, it's likely due to the existence of proxy subdomains in the SSL userdata files associated with your domain names (entries for proxy subdomains should not exist on the serveralias lines in these files). You can confirm this by running the following command:

Code:
    grep serveralias /var/cpanel/userdata/username/domain.tld_SSL
    Replace "username" and "domain.tld" with a username and domain name on your server that's receiving the warning message. Do you see entries for proxy subdomains on the serveralias line in the output?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Olof likes this.
  3. rs200

rs200 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael and thanks for the reply,

this is the output of the grep command for one of the accounts on the VPS

Code:
    serveralias: mail.domain.tld www.domain.tld cpanel.domain.tld webdisk.domain.tld webmail.domain.tld

I didn't understand what it's wrong? Why the warn says "duplicate domains"? Where are duplicate domains?

I tried another accounts and i have not seen duplicate records.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @rs200,

The proxy subdomain entries should not appear on the serveralias line in the userdata files for the domain names because the entries are already configured in the default Apache configuration templates. To solve the issue, you can manually edit the file referenced in your last response so that "cpanel.domain.tld webdisk.domain.tld webmail.domain.tld" is removed from the serveralias line. Then, remove the /var/cpanel/userdata/username/domain.tld_SSL.cache file and run the following command:

Code:
    /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    Thank you.

Olof likes this.
  5. rs200

rs200 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So i have to edit the file domain.tld_SSL on the line serveralias: ... removing "cpanel.domain.tld webdisk.domain.tld webmail.domain.tld", after i've to delete the cache file and run the command /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf

Is this correct?

It's a problem if i leave that warn on AutoSSL?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes, this is correct.

The warning messages are only warnings as opposed to errors, but ultimately it's something you should fix using the steps noted above as it has the potential to lead to other problems.

Thank you.

7. rs200

rs200 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael, i confirm that following those steps that you suggested me, the warn doesn't appear anymore. But i should repeat it for any domains.

My doubt is if i have to do it for every future domain added? It's just a warning but i hope no :)

8. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @rs200,

I've not seen any recent reports of this happening on new accounts (it seems to relate to an issue that was already addressed in the past), but feel free to let us know if you notice it on new accounts.

Thank you.

9. rs200

rs200 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok thank you so much Michael.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  10. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "WARN Skipping duplicate domains (misconfigured?)" appears 581 times in my nightly AutoSSL log. cPanel... there MUST be a better way to fix this problem then to manually edit every single _SSL file, remove every .SSL_cache file, and rebuildhttpconf??

- Scott

rs200 likes this.
  11. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I opened a ticket on this, and cPanel Support responded with the following background information, as well as a one-liner to fix the userdata issue (remove the proxy domains):

cPanelMichael likes this.
  12. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

To update, internal case CPANEL-22560 is included with cPanel & WHM version 76 to address this issue:

Fixed case CPANEL-22560: Ensure service subdomains do not end up in userdata on distill.

The case is also scheduled for inclusion with a future cPanel & WHM version 74 build.

Thank you.

13. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

To update, the case was published to cPanel & WHM version 74.0.10 today.

Thanks!