Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

In Progress [CPANEL-24094] Relative paths required for backup destinations

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by abdelhost77, Nov 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Morphime,

I've merged your posts into this thread.

I don't have an update to offer on the status of this case at this time, but I'll update this thread as soon as more information is available.

Thank you.

2. markleman

markleman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for this suggestion. I was hitting my head against a wall trying to solve this restriction and the other suggestion of using symbolic links did not work (I created them on my ftp server, but when I ftp'ed to it from my cpanel server they did not appear).

In the end I hand edited the .backup_destination and it works again. Just have to remember not to update the backup destinations via the web interface now :-(

Regards,
    Mark Leman

3. LBJ

LBJ Well-Known Member

The symlink approach breaks the hard link creation process with remote incremental destinations.

Modifying the /var/cpanel/backups/*.backup_destination file directly to provide a non-symlink path seems to be the only truly reliable workaround.

Hopefully cPanel will return the logic to allow at least a path such as '/../backup_external' to the additional destinations screen to cater for sending backups via rsync to external drives on external servers.

Best regards,

LBJ