[CPANEL-25879] rDNS configuration

Nabbello

Nov 9, 2016
italy
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello, how can i change the ptr to point on nameserver?

Look attachment.

On cpanel i have this issues when i go on Email Deliverability.

The system sends “mydomain”’s outgoing email from the “111.222.333.444” IP address. The only PTR value for this IP address must be “myserver.hostname”. This is the name that this server sends with SMTP’s “HELO” command to send “mydomain”’s outgoing email.

1 unexpected PTR value exists for this IP address:

• my.serverhostname.com
To fix this problem, contact your system administrator and request that they replace all PTR records for “111.222.333.444.in-addr.arpa” with the following record at ‘ns.second-ns.com’, ‘ns1.your-server.de’, e ‘ns3.second-ns.de’:

THanks

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Typically you will not have access to modify the PTR record. The Email Deliverability gives you what it believes the PTR record should be. You should be able to submit that to your provider for them to add. In fact you could just contact them and copy/paste the following:

Code:
replace all PTR records for “111.222.333.444.in-addr.arpa” with the following record at ‘ns.second-ns.com’, ‘ns1.your-server.de’, e ‘ns3.second-ns.de’:
Followed by the provided PTR record.

Ajdin

Sep 17, 2015
Novi Travnik
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

we have same issue and we have access to change our ptr records but cpanel can't see it.
here is example:
dig -x 185.212.108.48

; <<>> DiG 9.12.0 <<>> -x 185.212.108.48
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56529
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;48.108.212.185.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
48.108.212.185.in-addr.arpa. 299 IN PTR healthtime.ba.

Email Deliverability shows:
The system uses an alternate HELO of “myserver.hostname” when sending mail from the “healthtime.ba” domain.

The system sends “healthtime.ba”’s outgoing email from the “185.212.108.48” IP address. The only PTR value for this IP address must be “myserver.hostname”. This is the name that this server sends with SMTP’s “HELO” command to send “healthtime.ba”’s outgoing email.

1 unexpected PTR value exists for this IP address:

• healthtime.ba
To fix this problem, contact your system administrator and request that they replace all PTR records for “48.108.212.185.in-addr.arpa” with the following record at “vpsdns1.global.ba” and “vpsdns2.global.ba”:

Suggested “PTR” (PTR) Record PTR
Name: 48.108.212.185.in-addr.arpa
Value: myserver.hostname

also we need to tell you that this is happen after cPanel upgrade and we need to solve this urgent.
one more thing we use mailips on our server.

kind regards.

cPanelLauren

Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Ajdin

I've opened an inquiry with our developers on this issue. This being a new feature I'm unsure what the intended behavior is for NAT routed systems. I'll update you with the outcome of the inquiry as soon as available.

also we need to tell you that this is happen after cPanel upgrade and we need to solve this urgent.
Can you explain what the urgent portion of the issue is and maybe I can help you resolve that? This interface just lets you know what the suggested PTR record would be based off the IP of the server, it does not implement the rDNS.

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
This was marked as by design as this only occurs on systems where the NAT configuration is incorrect. If /var/cpanel/cpnat is configured correctly it should display the correct IP.

You might try running the following:

Code:
/scripts/build_cpnat
Then testing once more.

twinrivermedia

Registered
Jun 30, 2020
CO
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue with two of my IPs. I ran the code you suggested above, "/scripts/build_cpnat", and nothing changed. The response I got was as follow: "All publicly routeable addresses are the same as the local address. Not a NAT system.". In your Jan 30, 2019, answer you mentioned "provider". Is that hosting provider or domain registrar?

There were no further outcome from this post. What other suggestions do you have? Is this a cPanel issue?