[CPANEL-31754] SPF false positive, fails on valid senders after upgrade

feanorknd

Sep 28, 2005
Do you have any eta when this will be released?
Needed to disable SPF rules due to filter not respecting common SPF policies like "exists" and rejecting lots of valid and legit emails...

Please, update your exim software so this situation is fixed.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I don't have an ETA I do know this is fixed just not implemented in a v86 build yet, I'd wager that the next release of v86 will include the patch but will update here to confirm when it is resolved.

feanorknd

Sep 28, 2005
Hi... more than 1 month with a bugged EXIM version not running ok with simple SPF policies, while Exim developers published a fix months ago.... and no urgency at all.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi... more than 1 month with a bugged EXIM version not running ok with simple SPF policies, while Exim developers published a fix months ago.... and no urgency at all.

I'm going to be pretty straight forward on this.

1. We removed this functionality in our version of Exim some time ago because of issues with the way it performed DNS Lookups.​
2. We offset the responsibility for this behavior to SpamAssassin, where you have far more control, it's reliable and can weigh the scores or auto-delete.​
3. You're using a customization that bypasses the methods which we have decided work best.​

With that being clear I do hope you understand that the configuration you've chosen is not something that we provide or support which can sometimes take a back seat to issues with supported items and while this IS fixed in the current EDGE build of cPanel & WHM and you're welcome to update to it as of right now it has not been ported into a RELEASE version of the product and I don't have an ETA of when it will be. As soon as it is I will update this thread.

Hedloff

Jun 7, 2004
Up north!
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
2. We offset the responsibility for this behavior to SpamAssassin, where you have far more control, it's reliable and can weigh the scores or auto-delete.
Not all customers use SpamAssasin.
Maybee you could add a switch in WHM where we can add this so it's handled by SpamAssain? A on/off button for all accounts that are using spamassasin, all emails that do not send from servers that are included in the domains SPF will get rejected/deleted.

We really would like to upgrade to v.86 before v.88 is released.

Reactions: Pedro Marques

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
@Hedloff

My suggestions were there as a workaround to retain the same functionality until this is resolved. Furthermore, as an administrator you can force SpamAssassin on for all accounts, this is a function that is performed more reliably through SpamAssassin, there's no way to use this without it enabled so I don't think your suggestion would be plausible. I'm asking again today when we think this will be sent to v86 as it's certainly been some time. I'll update here when I have more information.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

I just wanted to update, for those of you watching this thread that right now the plan for v88 of cPanel to go to CURRENT is estimated around May 4th (this is absolutely not a date that is set in stone) - but I wanted to be as transparent as possible about the timeframe. At that time, the resolution for this will also be patched to v86 of cPanel & WHM

As soon as I have any more information on updates to this issue I will update here as well.

Thanks!

Reactions: Pedro Marques

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
@Nirjonadda as I noted many times previously, I will note when it's official and this day was not set in stone. As previously I will update when information is available. Thank you.

Reactions: Nirjonadda

Hedloff

Jun 7, 2004
Up north!
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We have many servers with CentOS 6, and I understand we cannot upgrade to v.88.
So, when will this be released to v.86 ? Do you have any eta? We have alot of customers waiting for this and the File Manager bug aswell.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
They're hoping for soon, I checked in with them today and they noted not this week but hopefully sometime next week though they made absolutely no promises. I'll check back in with them on Monday and see where they're at.