In Progress [CPANEL-31965] Default email account ghost disk usage

benito

Jan 8, 2004
Mar del Plata - Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello! I have this weird problem with one customer, his default email account not in use to catch all is showing almost 5gig disk usage.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-06 a la(s) 11.53.18.png

If i look into the account webmail its empty. If i look with file manager its empty. But, if i look the disk usage viewer i noticed a 5gb excess inside /mail and is nothing here. Where i need to look up?

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-06 a la(s) 12.02.38.png

Thanks!

Gino Viroli

Oct 2, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Same issue here. It shows my default email account to have 346MB, but when I go in the webmail of the default mail account is empty.

Moreover when I look at disk quota it shows the parent mail folder filled with 1.2GB, but the children folders are only 850MB, see screenshot:

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston

benito

Jan 8, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter

Gino Viroli

Oct 2, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Looks fine here too:

Bash:
[email protected] [/home/***.it/mail]# du -h --max-depth=1
20K     ./cur
24K     ./.Drafts
869M    ./***.it
24K     ./.mailbox_format.cpanel
24K     ./.Junk
24K     ./.Sent
4.0K    ./tmp
24K     ./.spam
24K     ./.Archive
4.0K    ./new
24K     ./.Trash
869M    .

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Yea, I'm aware of an issue that presented similarly to this which is why I wanted to confirm the Disk space was not actually being used @Gino Viroli

The last case associated with this was CPANEL-26448 and was resolved in v82 of cPanel & WHM if you're running v86 can you please open a ticket and then update this thread with the ticket ID.

Reactions: benito

benito

Jan 8, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Yea, I'm aware of an issue that presented similarly to this which is why I wanted to confirm the Disk space was not actually being used @Gino Viroli

The last case associated with this was CPANEL-26448 and was resolved in v82 of cPanel & WHM if you're running v86 can you please open a ticket and then update this thread with the ticket ID.
Done, new ticket id is 93470145

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hey guys,

I hate to say it but it looks like this issue has sprouted a new case CPANEL-31965 in which users are experiencing this behavior once again in v86 - I must have missed it when it was opened so I wasn't aware of it making a resurgence. @benito thank you for opening the ticket, the case is currently marked as Needs Reproduction and I've reached out to the product owner of that team to see if he needs anything from your server to reproduce this. We'll let you know what they come back with.

Right now the only workaround for this is to run the following:

Code:
/scripts/generate_maildirsize --confirm $USER
But this is only temporary as if you access the default email account the issue will reoccur.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

After some discussion with the Technical Support team here, If anyone here who is experiencing this issue could open a ticket we would very much appreciate it. Our Senior Technical Analysts need a system where the issue is currently occurring in order to replicate the issue as we've been unable to do so internally. Anyone who does open a ticket please update this thread with the ticket ID so I can inform the Senior Tech Analyst.

Thanks!

Reactions: Metro2

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Metro2

I see one of our Senior Tech Analysts has picked this p and is working on attempting to replicate the issue. Thank you for that. If anyone else who is experiencing this issue can please open a ticket it would be helpful in identifying a resolution to this.

ihghost

Registered
Jun 10, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @Metro2

I see one of our Senior Tech Analysts has picked this p and is working on attempting to replicate the issue. Thank you for that. If anyone else who is experiencing this issue can please open a ticket it would be helpful in identifying a resolution to this.
Hi,
Has this issue been resolved yet? I'm having the same problem.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
This issue is not currently resolved. We are still looking to be able to replicate this and if you're experiencing this issue please open a ticket. Once it's open please provide the Ticket ID in response to this thread so I can notify the Senior Analyst working on this case.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

Thank you for opening a ticket it would appear that your issue was related to uncompressed files.
Presently there are 43227 files that are compressed.

Dovecot uses what the space would be when uncompressed and is why the mailbox discrepancy is seen.