sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Anybody seeing a

condition check lookup defer

error in their exim_mainlog

temporarily rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: condition check lookup defer

where example.tld is a local domain name.

Not sure how to get any more debugging information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: danielfm

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Seems to be another Exim 4.94 "issue". Starting to wonder if they pushed out Exim 4.94 out too soon.

There's mentioning of it in the Exim mailing list from around April 30th. Although no resolution and not really a lot of discussion.

They do seem to believe it's something in the RCPT ACL - which I do have some customizations in there. So it'd be helpful to know if other plain-jane cPanel users are seeing this in their logs, if they're not, then it may be something in my customizations.

But as they allude to on the mailing list, the issue is difficult to replicate.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This is a known issue that is being worked on right now through case CPANEL-35877. When this happens, you can restart the dovecot service to get things working again temporarily.

We plan to have fixes for versions 94, 96, and 98 in place when this is resolved, but I'll be sure to update this thread with more details as I get them.

Reactions: danielfm

jarland

Nov 2, 2017
Hallsville, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is simply unacceptable. Since last log rotations this error has occurred 6,894 times on one of my servers due to this bug. Fortunately for cPanel, this is generating less complaints than migration to DirectAdmin. However, it's no small thing to note that this is threatening to continue for an entire quarter or more with no fix in sight. This is happening on live servers. Albeit to such a degree that many customers probably just retry sending mail and don't think about it again, but that is the only detail standing between this and the complete fall of cPanel.

I'm not being dramatic. This is a software bug. There is no correlation with quota or Dovecot restarts, the correlation there appears to merely be correlation with the randomness of the behavior to begin with. The continual price increases preceded a software bug that has it's fix thrown far into the future, at an unknown date. This is part of the core of cPanel and it's broken. How can anything be happening at cPanel other than all hands on deck to repair the broken software?

Reactions: Matias Contreras

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm sorry you've run into this issue! cPanel 98 is already in the Edge tier, so it's not "far" into the future, but the next major release. I also see the developers are discussing backport options to 94 and 96, but I don't have details on when or if those will happen, or if it will only be included in version 98.

As for fixing issues, we definitely try and get to them all, but we also consider the number of users affected and how much development work a certain fix will take when prioritizing this. But, as I mentioned, this is already fixed and included in the next major release, as soon as that gets to a stable verison.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Alfredo Diaz - could you please submit a ticket to our support team? While we've had a few reports of this still happening, we haven't been able to reproduce this on our side, so we'd need to see it in action on an affected system.

If you are able to submit a ticket, please post the number here so I can follow along and make sure this thread stays updated.