The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel 58... A tale of two EOL treatments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hbouma, Aug 5, 2016.

1. hbouma

hbouma Well-Known Member

I'm giving public feedback here because I'm really dissapointed with how cPanel handled their EOL situations for 11.58.

Starting with 11.52, every time we logged into WHM on a CentOS 5 machine, we had a nice little warning that CentOS 5 would be reaching EOL and that we needed to plan accordingly. So now that we're told 11.58 won't be supported by cPanel, its not a surprise because we've been constantly being reminded it was going to happen for over 9 months now.

cPanel did a great job at raising awareness of this upcoming change for everyone affected.

So its shocking to see that you guys did the complete opposite with communicating your other product EOL of 32 bit support also going away at the same time for a still supported OS. The only headlines coming out of cPanel this year has been CentOS 5 support was going away, such as in WHM, or in your blog post titled:

"March 31st, 2017: The Day the Sun Sets on CentOS 5"

What person looking at that blog post entry after looking at the announcements in WHM is going to think its going to contain EOL information other than CentOS 5? No normal person should expect it. Yet there it is, tucked into the end of the article like an afterthought.

So why handle the two EOL announcements totally differently? cPanel should have followed the same EOL awareness strategy for the CentOS 6 32 bit EOL as the CentOS 5 EOL. Every time we logged into WHM, we should have been shown a message stating 32 bit support is being dropped and to start planning an upgrade. There should have been a separate blog post of "11.58 - The Day The Sun Sets on CentOS 6 32-bit" . Or at least have the one blog post with a more inclusive title saying "The Day the Sun Sets on Two CentOS versions". Especially when CentOS 5 support ending was to be expected whereas dropping 32 bit support was purely a cPanel decision not forced by any external timetables.

This is frustrating for me because I would have done my migration schedule differently had it been more clear that 11.56 was also the last version for CentOS 6 32 bit as well - I invested a lot of hours upgrading CentOS 5 virtual machines to CentOS 6 thinking they'd be fine since CentOS 6 wasn't going EOL next year. Instead, its now been wasted effort as I now still have to migrate them to CentOS 7 servers anyway.

2. mindnetcombr

mindnetcombr Member

Same situation here, I manage more than 50 cpanel servers with this scenario. I feel your pain.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @hbouma and @mindnetcombr,

Thank you both for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding the EOL status on 32-bit operating systems. I've forwarded a link to this thread to our Community Manager to ensure it's handled appropriately.

Thank you.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hey everyone. You're completely right here, of course. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and duplicated work, and will absolutely keep this in mind going forward. I definitely should have been louder about that part, instead of focusing on the Cent5 deprecations.

Thank you so much for the incredible feedback, and definitely feel free to continue to send it along. I love to hear feedback, but I like it best when it's outlined in such a way that I can work to fix it.