PeteS

Jun 8, 2017
Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
On updating from v68 to 70.0.41 I noticed a user and group called cpanelanalytics was added. I can find no mention here or in docs/release notes, or by Googling. I would like to see what is being tracked/transmitted, and would like to know where I can control whether this happens at all, and also where is the option to remove cpanelanalytics from the system. (I know I can remove cpanelanalytics myself, but I don't want to "break" cPanel by doing that.)

This should be in the docs, no?

-Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: Trane Francks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi Pete,

This is added in anticipation of a new feature which is coming in a later release of the product. It's not being used yet and the analytics aren't being run as of now.

Thanks!

PeteS

Jun 8, 2017
Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you for replying quickly. Can this thread be flagged for update as information becomes available?

I don't wear a foil hat ;) but it seems a bit strange to me that users/groups and possibly other code are added for something that apparently isn't ready for release/use, and without mention anywhere.

I did find this in the change log for 69.9999 "Fixed case CPANEL-17313: Optimize analytics is_enabled check." Related?

-Pete

Reactions: Adarsh Madrecha

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Peter S and @Trane Francks

I can definitely update this thread when it is released. The analytics feature is actually present but it's not enabled as of now.

The referenced case is related to analytics, that specific case references a check done to ensure that it isn't enabled until it's released as a feature.