The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Accelerated Logo on VPS

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by cPanelJared, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you first install cPanel on a VPS, if you have a test/trial license, you will see a logo that says "cPanel accelerated" instead of "cPanel VPS Optimized."

It is a common assumption that the installer has somehow installed the "wrong" version of cPanel. If your VPS has a test/trial license, rest assured that you are only seeing a logo for cPanel Accelerated. You have the correct version of cPanel.

The logo displayed depends on the license on the main IP address. There is no distinction between VPS and dedicated test/trial licenses. The server currently has a 45-day test/trial license, so you see the logo for the dedicated version of cPanel. This has nothing to do with the version that is actually running.

When you purchase a VPS license for the server, the logo will change to a "VPS Optimized" logo.

You can find what license is active for your server, paid or test/trial, dedicated or VPS, at any time by entering its main IP address at the following page:

License Verification - cPanel Inc.

The cPanel installer is very robust at detecting what type of environment it is installing in, and it installs the correct version. You can prove this to yourself by viewing /var/cpanel/envtype, which contains the environment type that cPanel sees.

When you purchase a VPS license, the logo will change to "VPS Optimized." This is an issue only of the logo, not of the version of cPanel that is installed.

If you do purchase a VPS license and the logo does not change, first, make sure that the server is sending requests outbound from its licensed IP address. Run the following command as root:

Code:
    # curl http://www.cpanel.net/apps/myip/
    If the IP address returned by the curl command matches the licensed IP address (enter it into verify.cpanel.net as mentioned above), and the logo still does not change, please submit a ticket so that we may assist you individually.

2. SiteOx

SiteOx Registered

I did a P2V (Physical to Virtual) convertion of my cPanel server, and it is now running on a VM in VMWare ESXi. My license has always been for the dedicated server, so WHM and cPanel say "Accelerated". I checked my /var/cpanel/envtype and noticed it says "vmware". My WHM and cPanel still say "Accelerated" after the P2V conversion. I was told this would change if I reinstalled the system (forced a reinstall with /scripts/upcp). From what you are saying, it sounds like it is strictly based on the licensed purchased, as to the logo being displayed. We may continue to purchase the dedicated license, as we may move this server back to physical if we experience any issues in a virtual environment. If we continue with a dedicated license for now, will the logo always say "Accelerated"? If an update is applied (new version) will it change to "VPS Optimized" regardless of the license?

Sean

3. SiteOx

SiteOx Registered

Can anyone from cPanel answer my questions?

Sean

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The logo displayed is based on the license. The VPS Optimized logo will only be displayed if you have a VPS license.

You do not need to reinstall the operating system or cPanel if you change the type of license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.