The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel account for subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snardi67.gaming, Apr 4, 2007.

1. snardi67.gaming

Hello,

I've seen this done on other webservers although I have not been able to figure out how to do this on my own server running whm/cpanel.

What I would like to know how to do is this when creating a subdomain allow the subdomain to have a seperate cpanel account. This would be used for clients that want a website but don't have a domain name to use. I know that the websites are accessible by using the account name and the tilde key (example somewebsite.com/~someusername) which does work although it's not what i want to do in this case I would like to add the account as a subdomain off my own website and allow them to have a seperate full cpanel of their own to use. Is there a way to do this?

2. cbwass

cbwass Well-Known Member

Just add the sub-domain in 'Create a New Account ' as if it were a new domain.
    Then it will be a new user/domain with it's own Cpanel etc.

3. HH-Steven

HH-Steven Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From what youve said it sounds like you have a shared hosting account with a host, if thats the case then no, theres no way you can do what your wanting.

At the very least you need a reseller/multi domain account with access to WHM (WebHost Manager)

4. snardi67.gaming

Um not sure where you are getting the idea that i'm on any type of shared hosting as i'm not. I have my own full server and I have full control over it (box, whm, cpanel). Regardless I'll give what cbwass said a go around and see if that works. I had not tried that as of yet. Hopefully it will work properly for what i want to do, which is to allow clients of mine that don't want to purchase a domain name to have a fully enabled website off of my own domain or one of my resellers domains. Thank you for the insight there though Jortex it was a very helpful comment and all in all I appreciate the attempt at helping. :)

Edit:
    Tried what you said cbwass and it didn't create it as a subdomain with a cpanel account instead it created a completely seperate account and prepended the subdomain with www.subdomainNameHere.somewebsitehere.com. Account is still accessble going to my domain name and adding the ~someUserNameHere method but isn't accessible by either www.subdomainNameHere.somewebsitehere.com or subdomainNameHere.somewebsitehere.com maybe i should have created a subdomain on my website first then created teh account in whm?

Does anyone here at cpanel now how i should go about doing this? I do have full whm access, full box access, access to my nameservers and every other type of access that is needed i'm sure. Maybe I should open up a direct ticket to cpanel and see if anyone on staff has an idea as to how to go about doing this.

#4 snardi67.gaming, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    What cbwass said makes 100% sense and you should be able to access the subdomain with www.subdomainNameHere.somewebsitehere.com or subdomainNameHere.somewebsitehere.com and if you are not then it has to be a DNS issue or something.

6. snardi67.gaming

Yes sir Murtaza_t you are correct what he suggested did work (problem with it not working was a DNS issue). I had not given it enough time to resolve i guess. Thank you cbwass for the help that did work it just took a little time for the subdomain to start resolving after i created the test account. Now it's working great it doesn't need it's own domain name as it's using mine and it's accessible as a full account seperate from my own account. Well again thank everyone here on the cpanel forums for helping me with this I do appreciate it as it helped me to get something working i had not been able to do before by reading the cpanel manuals and searching the forums.

7. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Please don't call me Sir.. Feels a bit low :p

Sometimes we make mistakes in haste.. but its ok untill we are learning and ofcourse it doesn't cost us alot.. :)