The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel account over quota, cannot delete webmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by myusername, Mar 27, 2007.

1. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    This is a problem I had today with a larger organization that has a heavy reliance on email, and about 500 email addresses assigned to users who all must use the webmail interface.

Problem is, that 50% of these users have filled their inboxes to capacity, due to poor maintenance practices.

This resulted in the cPanel account, as a whole, to be over quota. When this happens, the responsible users that actually maintain their inboxes could no longer delete mail using the webmail interface.

I assume because some sort of temp file is being created somewhere, and it cannot be created because of the quota issue.

Anyone else have this problem or know of an existing bug report? Seems to me that users should be able to delete emails even if the cPanel account is over quota, because it would help to bring the cPanel account back to under quota in this particular case.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would be due to both the "soft" quota system used by exim & courier and the file system quota. You are correct in the reason why deleting wouldn't work, although iirc no temp file is created, the file is merely moved but then encounters the filesystem quota enforcement.

The quick solution, which you liekly know, is to temporarily increase the quota(s) so they can delete the email, then return the quota(s) to the normal level.

It's a human problem that reached a technological limit, rather than being a bug.

3. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I agree. But less savvy users wonder why they cannot delete email and "my hotmail account lets me delete email when i am over quota..." type comments.

Sure would be nice to add some functionality to get around this issue. Definitely a human problem, but humans make mistakes and computers are supposed to be a help to humans, not make life more difficult :)

Sounds like an impossibility to get past the Linux quota enforcement?

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ideally:

An email goes to the email account user notify that x% space is uxed, please remove files else risk having the email account "shutdown" Similar email should probably go to the cPanel account contact
    Email user logs in and removes messages to clear room.

For filesystem needs, soft quotas give a user a grace period wherein they can still move, copy, create files and directories (or even better, delete them). Unforuntately I think the quotas used by exim/courier do not support the concept of soft quotas, which makes this difficult.

5. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thats too bad to hear. Quite a dilemma it presents.

I am trying to convice an organization of 200 email users to use an email reader instead of webmail which they have been used to using for the last 4 years.

The don't grasp the concept of "finite space" and "it worked fine for years" makes them reluctant to change, and of course blame the host.

There simply is no more room on the account, thus, no one can delete email. I've increased the cPanel account on numerous times but it always fills up again.

Seems to me like an IMAP front-end (I've seen helpdesks that do this sort of thing) could be built independant of courrier to manipulate files as needed that runs as something other than the user. Webmail is due for a revanp one day anyways (I hope soon :) ). I wonder if it can be taken into consideration or is even a possibility.