The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Add On Domain Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seepaneller, Mar 2, 2006.

1. seepaneller

seepaneller Registered

I recently signed up for a new cPanel account that allows unlimited domains and am struggling with creating and accessing additional domains.

The account has been set up for www.mymaindomain.com and is accessible via www.mymaindomain.com/cpanel as normal.

When I attempted to create www.mynewdomain.com via “add on domain” it just created a subdomain instead. I was informed that this was because it is best to enter the full domain name in the user name box. I believe it still creates a subdomain but it also creates the new domain?

Consequently, the host’s tech support created it for me and gave it a login username and password suggesting I change the password asap.

So, I presumed that if I typed in www.mynewdomain.com/cpanel and entered the username and password supplied that I should be able to login to this domain’s cPanel. However, when I entered the username and password I got a failed login message.

Therefore my first question is should I be able to log into this account like this? This certainly works for my other cPanel account which admittedly is a reseller account and has WHM.

As I couldn’t access the account I clicked on the lost password box on the main login page in case it was incorrect. This opened a browser window saying that a new password would be emailed to the email address I had registered. The problem is I haven’t yet registered an email address for either of the domains in cPanel. I have been using a gmail account for tech support and assumed it would be sent there.

So, my next question is if I register an email address in cPanel mail is it likely it will send me a new password as I tried this yesterday?

Would it be better to delete the additional domain and re-create it?

Finally, I noticed when I looked in the mail settings in cPanel for www.mymaindomain.com that I am offered the following choices:

@mynewdomain.com
    @mynewdomain.com.mymaindomain.com
    @mymaindomain.com

Can I delete this @mynewdomain.com.mymaindomain.com account as well as removing the subdomain?

One other thing, tech support explained that they had created a www directory for the additional domain. When I look at it in FTP the root appears to be public_html/ the same as my main domain. Are they in fact both sharing the same root directory?

I would be really grateful if any of the cPanel experts in the forum could answer these questions for me. :confused:

2. rapidfire911

rapidfire911 Active Member

There is no way to delete them from showing up. The subdomains are created for the add on domains. In order for you to delete them and creat new accounts, you have to ask your host for web host manager. Whenever you create an add-on domain, you have to have that subdomain folder becasue that is where you putt eh add on site. It will still come up as addondomain.com but can also come up as addondomain.maindomain.com. Like I said earlier, you need your host to give you reseller privelidges and create separate cpanel accounts.

Randy
    Chihost.com Technician

3. seepaneller

seepaneller Registered

Randy

Thanks for your reply. I think it is unlikely that my host will add reseller privileges as it isn’t part of the package. I suppose they might, for an additional cost.

So, assuming I have to continue working with add on domains from my main account do I log into www.mynewdomain.com account through www.mymaindomain.com cPanel?

Or should it be possible to log into it through its own cPanel?

Also, when I add a domain does it create the www directory or do I need to do that myself?

Thanks

seepaneller