The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel and Bind as a master dns server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dubiousmike, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dubiousmike

dubiousmike Registered

Did I go through the initial setup wrong?

I can see where I can enter a value for another server to be the master DNS server, establish a trust relationship and get an update from it.

But I want Cpanel to be the master dns server. I need to enter a value for the slave server. It wont let me edit the resolvers. Where can I edit how often it updates the slave server?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

To make your cpanel server a master you don't need to enter anything in that master text box, just leave it empty. You should create a trust relationship to your slave servers and then tweak your bind config to send notifies to the slaves whenever there are updates to the zone files.

If you need to edit your servers resolvers, ssh into your box and edit /etc/resolv.conf manually.

3. dubiousmike

dubiousmike Registered

Something is wrong for sure. When I add DNS Zones, they don't appear. Doesn't making a new account usually automatically insert dns info into bind?