cPanel and main ftp account losing sync?

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
I have run into this twice now on the same account. I go to ftp in using the main cpanel credentials and I get a "530 Login authentication failed". I go to cpanel and log in using the same credentials and it works fine, which verifies that the password is correct. I try ftp again using those credentials and it still won't authenticate.

I then go to whm, go to the account in question, and change the password to itself (ie. I hit change but I am using the same password that works in cpanel but not ftp) and now I can both ftp in fine and log in to cpanel with the same login.

Any idea what would cause the two systems to lose sync like that?

-Michael

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
I am not sure how to line up the log messages with the exact time the event happened, so my guess is I need to wait for it to happen again?

-Michael

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I am not sure how to line up the log messages with the exact time the event happened, so my guess is I need to wait for it to happen again?
Hello Michael,

That's correct. If you are unsure when the issue last occurred, then you'd want to monitor /var/log/messages upon testing the FTP login (before updating the cPanel account's password) the next time this happens. Another option is to search /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log to see the date and time when you changed the account password, and then search for that date/time in /var/log/messages to see the FTP login activity that was logged before you changed the password to solve the issue. EX:

Code:
grep "json-api/passwd" /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log
Thank you.