The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel and PHP 5 [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rod, May 16, 2005.

1. rod

rod Registered

cPanel and PHP 5

Hello, my web hosting company is claiming that they have not installed PHP 5 on their servers because it is not recomended by cpanel : (quote)

"Currently we support PHP 4.3.10. This is recomended by cpanel and is compatible
    with it. We currently dont have plans to upgrade php on the servers. We will
    update it as soon as cpanel recomends to do so."

Is this true? Because my website needs PHP 5 to run. If it is true, would it affect their servers performance if they do install PHP 5?

I would really appreciate your answers and suggestions.

Thanx

Rod

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

php5 support in cPanel is currently only available for beta testing, so your host is quite correct.

3. Bleys

Bleys Registered

Along these lines, is there any timeline for full php5 support? I'm wondering since I am currently writing a script in php5, and I think the stance of Rod's host is not an uncommon one. Once cpanel is fully on board, I expect a much faster migration to php5.

4. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

This is not a cPanel issue. It comes down to the fact that quite a few scripts still do not support PHP 5.
    PHP will work perfectly fine with cPanel (mainly because cPanel does not use PHP at all).

5. Bleys

Bleys Registered

Hmm, what did Jonathon mean above, then? I'm pretty ignorant of the issue, I'm just trying to figure out when most hosts will be switching over to php5 (since I'm writing a script in php5 and the slower the changeover the worse the script will sell, I'm guessing), and the "we aren't switching until cPanel supports it" is a common response that I have seen.

6. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Basically cPanel marks it as (beta/testing) because of the fact that installing it instead of PHP4 will break many users scripts.
    However cPanel has no problem with it.

7. willnorris

willnorris Registered

but many (if not close to all) hosts that use cPanel won't use php5 as long as you guys mark it as beta. you guys have tested it and verified that it works just fine in cPanel, so why not go ahead and drop the "beta"? Granted, it may break some users scripts, but that is not your responsibility. Did the folks at PHP hold shipping php5 b/c it might break stuff? certainly not... they shipped it, told people it might break stuff, and gave them to option to upgrade or not. By the same token, it would seem you guys could go ahead and ship it, let people know it might break stuff, and give them the option to upgrade or not. Some hosts may not b/c they have to answer to their customers, but they should at least be given the choice (if it's not officially supported by cPanel, it's not really a choice for many hosts).

just my two cents. *shrug*

-will

<off topic>and what's the deal with having to register to even VIEW these boards? I can understand that for some little snotty animai communities, but not a corporate support forum.... just a little pet peeve of mine I guess</off topic>

#7 willnorris, Jun 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The issue is somewhat moot since the beta/test qualifiers were removed some time ago, certainly in EDGE.

9. willnorris

willnorris Registered

According to http://cpanel.net/downloads.htm...
    so even though it may not be called "beta" it is still not advertised as being production ready, which amounts to the same thing. by the way, is there anywhere on the cPanel website to view what versions of particular packages are included in different releases of cPanel?

#9 willnorris, Jun 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Having checked a couple of servers, the apache build settings are pretty much cPanel version tree independent, so it's available in STABLE and RELEASE as well without the beta or test caveat.