The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel and Single IP and Single Wildcard Domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by velo2k77, Mar 16, 2012.

1. velo2k77

velo2k77 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I apologize if this has already been answered. I did try to google around a bit and see if I could find an answer but didn't have much luck.

That said, here goes...

Scenario, we're a k12 institution with a web/business teacher that purchased a cpanel/whm license to teach his students about webhosting and wordpress. I set him up a minimal centos 6.2 server and got cpanel/whm pulled down and licensed. During setup the wizard asks for IPs, and name servers. The first problem seems to be that we have a single public ip address for this server to use. The second problem seems to be that we don't have control over our name servers. I went through the wizard with the single ip and in the name servers I chose bind and then for nameservers I input ns1.stuweb.ourdomain.org and ns2.stuweb.ourdomain.org. We have a wildcard subdomain entry *.stuweb.ourdomain.org and the primary stuweb.ourdomain.org registered to the server's ip.

All this said, is this even going to work? What configurations should I change or keep in mind? In my mind I'd like the students to be able to setup sites using a subdomain supported by the wildcard of *.wildcard.ourdomain.org then setup wordpress with that site using cpanel.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I believe the use of wildcard subdomains would not be ideal in this case. Instead, you could simply create a separate cPanel account for each subdomain. This would give each user the ability to have their own cPanel and install software on the account.

You will be able to assign the same IP address to both name servers, however this must be configured at the domain registrar of your primary domain name. We have instructions for completing this at the most common registrars at:

Registering Private Nameservers

Thank you.

3. velo2k77

velo2k77 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your time in responding to my query.