The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel and up2date problems, please help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by platypus, Jul 18, 2004.

1. platypus

platypus Member

I hope someone can help me... Every day, when I log into my server and run "top", I see that there are 3 instances of up2date running, which are effectively using up all CPU time. I have been able to manually kill each of them without any apparent problems, but figuring out why this happens is the challenge.

Perhaps someone can explain to me the relationship between cPanel and up2date? I know there is a cron job set up that runs /scripts/upcp, which in turn runs up2date. I'm running Redhat Enterprise 3, and I was concerned about the recent mod_ssl exploit that was reported. When I run up2date by itself, I see that certain packages (such as kernel, httpd, php, etc) are excluded from being updated. The mod_ssl fix says it requires some of these excluded packages. If I clear the exclusion list in up2date and run again, it fails. If I let /scripts/upcp run, it *re-inserts* those packages into the exclude list.

How am I supposed to install the mod_ssl fix? Please help... :confused:
    Also, is there a known problem with up2date stalling and eating CPU time? How do I troubleshoot and fix this? Thank you.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are seberal issues here:

1. You should not install the mod_ssl update provided by up2date. It's for the wrong version of apache. cPanel uses the correct one when you run "Update Apache". You should add mod_ssl to your up2date skiplist

2. You could try running up2date manually with up2date -l which should list available packages. If that hangs, then you most likely have a problem with your rpm database. If so, then I would recommend running the option under WHM > Rebuild RPM Database. When that is finished (it will take some time to run) try running up2date -l again. If that still hangs, try rebooting the server and then try up2date -l a final time.

3. If up2date doesn't hang, but instead throws up an error, then you will have to contact your NOC as they will have to fix it.

Lastly, if you don't know what up2date is, you should look it up man up2date

3. platypus

platypus Member

I'm sorry I dont have time for a complete reply. Thanks for the info... so are you saying that /scripts/upcp should automatically take care of upgrading mod_ssl by itself, since it is not recommended that I try to upgrade it using up2date directly? If so, how can I verify that the updates have indeed been applied?

Thanks, and I'll respond more later.

4. webafrica

webafrica Member

RPM Rebuild hangs for me, left it on overnight.

Then up2date still hangs for me. :(

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Try the following:

1. Issue the following to get the PID's of any processes access the rpm database:
    lsof | grep /var/lib/rpm

2. The PID's are in the second column, you need to kill each of the separate ones off:
    kill -9 PID

3. Now you need to clean up any lock files:
    rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*

4. Try again. If you get rpm database errors, you may need to:
    rpm --rebuilddb

That could take a while. If it seems to be hanging (after 20 minutes or so), then...

5. Reboot the server as a last resort.

6. webafrica

webafrica Member

Oh my g!! I have HUNDREDS of processes... wtf.
    Thats just a few.. can I use "killall rpmq"? What could have cause this?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Ouch :eek:

I would do the following:

ps axf | grep -v grep | grep rpm

Make sure none of those look essential, then

killall rpm

You could also resolve it with a simple reboot, then go to step 3.

I would suspect you've had the problem for a few days. Since /scripts/upcp interrogates the rpm database it's probably got in a bit of a state. Considering that, and I don't normally recommend it, but a reboot may be a good idea to clear things up if you're not sure what should and what should not be running on your server.

8. webafrica

webafrica Member

Wow - such a speedy reply and on a sunday. You guys rock! Yes to be honest we are complete linux noobians. (We are a windows host) Going to reboot and pray. :) Thanks

9. webafrica

webafrica Member

Hmm nasty looks like something not right.. So I did a chkrootkit. and..

Then I saw this

Is that bad?

10. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator