The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel and Urchin - simply DO NOT WORK!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjd2003, Feb 10, 2004.

1. pjd2003

pjd2003 Member

has anybody got this combo to work (Urchin 5.1 latest stable release of cPanel from a couple of days ago)? i have major problems:

1. If i delete all the profiles, say, leaving only one or two ... cPanel goes ahead and restores a profile for EVERY site again automatically. i cant stop it - and as i am charging for urchin stats on a per-site basis this is driving me mad!

2. the logs are all showing 0 hits, they did work briefly a couple of days ago, now they are back to showing 0 for everything.

3, My tech support only once replied saying 'switch off Urchin in the account section of WHM for the accounts you dont want to have it on'. Then i tell them that this feature doesnt exist! So they tell me to manually edit the HTML on the cPanel page to take out the urchin stats! This doesnt stop it using a profile, and i am not sure you can do this anyway.

Crazy! Has anybody got this working, and if so, how?

2. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

We are currently working with the Urchin development team to work out any kinks between cPanel and Urchin. If you encounter these problems, please submit a bug report.

3. pjd2003

pjd2003 Member

Are these known problems then? I mean are cPanel aware of the vanishing profiles issue, and the fact the stats show 0 most of the time?
    Any eta on when these issues will be fixed, I mean the most sensible thing would be to be able to enable urchin on a per account basis.

4. webolocity

webolocity Well-Known Member

Urchin

Well, we had updated to 5.5, than we downgraded to 5.1. Finally got everything working again, and now today urchin.cgi is just a blank page.

We are running edge-72. Any suggestions? Now we are getting the following errors after the last upgrade:

root@dns [/]# run urchinctl start
    -bash: run: command not found
    root@dns [/]# sd(8,3): write failed, user block limit reached.
    sd(8,3): write failed, user block limit reached.

And the other is:

Unable to start shared RRDtool , etc..

Any ideas? :confused:

This just decided to start happening, so we are not sure what we should keep doing to fix this. We still see posts for problems with 5.5, so this doesn't seem to be a solution. We actually did try an upgrade today to see if it changed anything but it doesn't.

Thanks.

5. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

On E72 and I must agree. Urchin 5.5 doesn't work at all. Have the same problems as the first post above. Finally had to shut Urchin down completely. Sent a notice to clients letting them know that Urchin will probably be down for a while. Not sure which, but one or the other ( Cpanel or Urchin ) is very unstable.

By the way, sometimes people say as a solution to the problem that I should run Stable and not Edge. I would only if Stable actually gave me fewer errors. Just me perhaps, but Edge is so much more stable on our servers.

Anyway, we'll see what becomes of this. I must say I'm actually thinking of dropping Urchin althogether as I've rarely seen the Cpanel/Urchin combo stable.

Thanks.

6. webolocity

Runstatsonce

Now,

When we try to run "/scripts/runstatsonce", it says we are running "This script requires cPanel 6.4.2 Build 11+" , when actually we are now running Edge-113?

I think that in one of our updates something has gotten corrupted or changed and now is causing the system to not be writable for stats.

Any ideas????

7. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Re: Urchin

If anything you have disk space and or quota problems by the write failed messages. I'd worry about that before Urchin.

Jesse Rehmer
    Blue World Hosting
    www.blueworldhosting.com

8. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Urchin

Also "run" is not a command in UNIX, if you need a UNIX/Linux admin to help you, contact me. (The urchin scheduler also doesn't need to be started).

Jesse Rehmer
    jrehmer@blueworldhosting.com
    Blue World Hosting
    www.blueworldhosting.com

9. webolocity

Re: runstatsonce

Yes, the other turned out to be a hardware failure which has been replaced. We actually are still having urchin as a blank page now after our initial upgrade to E-72. We just upgraded to Edge-113, but urchin still is a blank page.

The /scripts/runstatsonce is a built in script, which usually works, it just is not working now since upgrade.

The "run urchinctl start" is the command given by Urchin, for starting and stopping the utility.

Thanks for the input, but there is a definate problem with Urchin and cpanel working correctly together. We may also try a fresh install, to see what occurs.

10. webolocity

Re: "/scripts/runstatsonce"

P.S.

We ran the avoe script because we did a new install, (over the old (upgrade)), to try to see if it would fix the problems, but it did not.

When you do a downgrade, etc... you need to run the utility one time to sync up the stats to work.

Thanks

11. webolocity

re urchin command

My mistake. I should clarify we were "running" the command of urchinctl start, not a "run" command.

I realized that I put the "run" in the quotations of the post where it should not have been by mistake, so I see where it was taken as a "run" command.

Thanks

12. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

I've had problems with Urchin too, but i got it working tonight. :)

What I did was to login to mydomain.com:9999 as admin and manually set the log sources for each profile.

Logfiles are here:
    /usr/local/apache/domlogs/yourdomain.com

Choose the ncsa log format.

Then I ran:
    /scripts/runstatsonce

and:
    ./urchinctl start

After a few minutes i logged into mydomain.com/cpanel and checked Urchin-stats, and they were working :)

Oh, and you should probably set the Scheduler for each profile to run daily too...Clicking the Run Now button doesn't work. Neither does viewing the stats at mydomain.com:9999.

13. webolocity

Re: manual updates to urchin

Thanks,

We will try this on the domains which are using Urchin, and let you know. ;)

14. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

How did you shut down Urchin completely?

15. webolocity

write failed issue

Well, we are still getting the write failed issue:

yet, no accounts are over quota and we have run all the fixes anyways such as:

/scripts/fixquotas
    /scripts/resetquotas etc...

We have a ticket in with Cpanel to try to figure this out. We feel that this happened somewhere in a cpanel upgrade, but not sure which one.

New upgrades do not fix. We get the errors when trying to run stats, so we think that the users which cpanel is feeling are over quota (which none are and all quotas reflect correctly in shell as well as WHM), it is not writing any stats for and they are just getting a blank page when they click the urchin link.

Or maybe it is just a combination of errors mixed from urchin and cpanel.

Anyways, nothing has worked to fix this yet. Thanks, so far for the suggestions, I wish they had fixed this. We have some accounts which work, and some that do not. ????? and no answers yet, of why we are getting these errors for quotas when all quotas are correct and under.

Any suggestions are very welcome!!! We are willing to try almost anything to figure this out. Everything seems to be working correctly with these errors except for Urchin. We have even just tried a fresh install of 5.5 again, with no luck, than downgraded to 5.1 again (which fixed Urchin prior), but nothing is changed.

Unfortunately, we have been using Urchin for too long and have too many customers who use it. At least some users still have it, but others who don't, are of course, as frustrated with this as we are. :(

16. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Stream,

I tried your advise on adding manually the logs paths in Urchin, tried /logsrunonce and /runweblogs and Urchin just simply cannot kick in.

Any other advise would be appritiated.

Cretu

17. webolocity

Urchin

Hello,

In talking with Urchin a couple weeks or so ago, we were told that the 8.9 verison of Cpanel would be able to fix Urchin to work properly.

We have upgraded to Cpanel 8.9 E-30 and Urchin still does not work, just all zeros.

Does anyone know of a is a planned ETA on this working? We have numerous customers asking, since we were running 5.1 which broke too. We tried to re-upgrade today to 5.5, and still broke.

Any other suggestions are welcome. We have already tried all the previous posts on this forum, but none have worked so far.

Thanks.

Thanks?

18. salvatore333

salvatore333 Well-Known Member

urchin

I have an urchin 400 user license. The urchin control panel says I am using 430 logs. Is there a way something can search and delete old urchin accounts I have terminated on my server. Either delete the old logs or the urchin profiles or both?

If not what is the procedure for terminating a customer? Do I have to go into urchin and the server log files and delete them from those areas also?

If so I would suggest something that would delete everything once a customer is terminated in cpanel, Thanks