The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel and WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enjoylife, May 16, 2011.

1. enjoylife

enjoylife Member

1, what's the difference between them?

2,i have a WHM root account. why i can use this account log in the server. eg:using putty to log in the server. is the root account the same as the linux host root account? what's the principle of it?

3,if i want to add a user who can access the WHM. how do i do?

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

1 >> CPanel helps to manage a single domain and WHM helps to manage all domains in the server.
    2 >> Yes, both are same.
    3 >> Root can only access all the features of the WHM. Resellers can also access WHM with limited access.

3. enjoylife

enjoylife Member

thank you.
    1,what's the relationship between cPanel and WHM? how are the data exchanged between them?

2,what are the account and password that the user can use them to log in WHM? if i don't want user to access the WHM. how do i do?

3,the user on the server who is the Reseller setted on the WHM.namely,the each cpanel user is a reseller. am i right?

#3 enjoylife, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel and Web Host Manager are installed as part of the same installation package. If you are using cPanel, it means you or your web hosting provider has access to Web Host Manager.

Only the "root" username, or accounts that have been granted reseller privileges can access Web Host Manager. For resellers, you are able to select specific privileges that reseller have access to within Web Host Manager.

That is not correct. A reseller account is a modified cPanel account that has additional privileges and access to a limited WHM interface. Here is a full guide on reseller accounts:

Understanding Reseller Accounts

Thank you.