cPanel appends domain name to DNS "A" records even with "." at end

steger

Registered
Feb 3, 2022
United States
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
cPanel's "Email deliverability" menu item reports this problem for my domain.

The system uses an alternate HELO of “s1.n2.n3.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” when sending mail from the “example.com” domain.
The system sends the domain “s1.n2.n3.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” in the SMTP handshake for this domain’s email. “s1.n2.n2.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” does not resolve to any IP addresses.
To fix this problem, contact your system administrator and request that they create a DNS “A” record for “s1.n2.n3.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” whose value is “1.2.3.4”.

However, when I try to add the suggested DNS "A" record using cPanel's "Zone manager", the cPanel interface automatically appends example.com to the end of the name. This is true whether or not I put a "." at the end of the name.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! We're aware of this issue and there's some more discussion of this here:

BlueSteam

Feb 21, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I am also having this issue but I am a little wet behind the ears on how to fix this. I have full root access to the server so if I need to I can change whatever I need to.

However, Where do I actually make this PTR record change?? Is it done in the WHM for the servers domain that is linked to it? or is it done on each domain DNS zone on the server? I would think it would be a global change and not individually on each domains DNS zone?

steger

Registered
Feb 3, 2022
United States
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
What I've been told is that the owner of the domain (you) cannot make this change. That's because it isn't done in your domain's DNS zone. For me, when I check Email >> Email Deliverability, the error shown contains this:
"The system sends the domain “s1.n2.n3.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” in the SMTP handshake for this domain’s email...To fix this problem, contact your system administrator and request that they create a DNS “A” record for “s1.n2.n3.n4.static.myhostcenter.net” whose value is “1.2.3.4”."
It's the DNS settings for myhostcenter.net that needs to be changed, not my personal domain.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@steger - the way that reverse DNS works is that the zone controlling the PTR records, in nearly all cases, is owned by the hosting provider. It's very rare for this authority to be delegated to an individual server, but it can happen if someone purchases a large block of IP addresses.

But yes, in general, talk to your host about setting up rDNS and they'll be able to take care of that quickly for you.