The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Auto Respond to Text Message (SMS)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by John McIntosh, Jun 28, 2016.

1. John McIntosh

John McIntosh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I set up an autoresponder for save@example.com in my cPanel.

I sent a message from my phone’s SMS messaging app to save@example.com and did not receive the auto response.

I thought this should work because both email and SMS use the same type of URL. My text message URL is in the form 25217$%#&@domain.com.

The text message to save@example.com was readable in Roundcube Webmail. I am curious as to why the cPanel autoresponder failed to respond to the message from 25217$%#&@domain.com@domain.com. (Please excuse the special characters that are "stand-ins" for the last 4 digits of my phone number.

The logs show that the message was received and responded to but I do not see the message on my phone.

Here are the logs:

Code:
    2016-06-28 14:09:11 1bHxRf-00081F-En <= save@xample.com U=someusr P=local S=748 T="Welcome to FOTP Save More!" for 25217$%#&@domain.com

If Welcome to FOTP Save More! is the subject of the auto responder, the maillog shows it was sent out to 25217$%#&@domain.com

which responded with:

Code:
    Sender-Id: someusr
    To: 25217$%#&@domain.com
    Subject: Welcome to FOTP Save More!
    Size: 1658 bytes
    Duration: 16.15 seconds
    Bind IP: 46.232.183.27
    Response: 250 ok: Message 1388508207 accepted

So example.com accepted delivery. From there however I can't say what has happened to the message.

#1 John McIntosh, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This suggests an issue with the email service associated with the phone. Have you tested from other sources to verify that sending an email to that address results in a text message delivery to your phone? If so, you may need to consult with the email provider associated with the domain name utilized in your phone's messaging application to determine why the email message did not result in a text message.

Thank you.

3. John McIntosh

John McIntosh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Not sure if the issue is the phone. If I open gmail and send a message to 252617#$%&@vtext.com my phones text messaging app receives the message in seconds.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The remote mail server is accepting the message, thus the point of failure occurs on the remote mail server associated with your phone number's email address, or on your device itself. I suggest contacting your provider's support team, as they should be able to determine what's filtering the message.

Thank you.