Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel auto updates -- good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Jan 14, 2006.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently realized that my auto-updates were turned off. In the past, cPanel updated itself to the latest Release Tree nightly. The good thing is that I've not had any big fires for a while now. Nothing is broken, everybody is happy.

In the old days of auto updates, I was always surprised to see the server acting weird, people saying things were broken, etc. This was usually traced down to something being changed due to an auto-update of cPanel that ran overnight. :(

So, the question is... if I'm happy where I'm at (cPanel version 10.8.0-R65), should I turn the auto-updates back on? Or leave it where it is, until I really need some neat new feature?

Also, is there some type of mailing list or other way that I can be notified each time cPanel is updated, and it would tell me what the update contains?

Thanks!

- Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    auto-updates have their plusses and minuses.

i personally run AUTO CURRENT all on my servers (30+ of them)
    current is quite up-2-date so if you do hit a probelm its fixed pretty quick !!

had a few issues with the stoopid perl updates and also the mysql debarcle a few weeks ago.

seems to have settled down now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

I would advice to have a look at the change log.

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, I will consider turning on auto-updates again, sounds like you've had good luck with the Current Tree (I was using Release and maybe that was too risky). I guess I need to revisit the relationship between Beta, Release, Current and Stable.

I found the change log at: http://changelog.cpanel.net/ -- thanks for that!

Would still be kinda cool to get an e-mail or alert when it changes... hmmm.. this will work... just went to http://changedetection.com/monitor.html and told it to e-mail me each time that page changes. Could it be that simple? :)

- Scott