Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel AutoSSL Questions

Discussion in 'Security' started by morrow95, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. morrow95

morrow95 Well-Known Member

I've been a WHM/Cpanel users for many years now and would like to take advantage of the new auto-ssl feature, but I do have some question.

1 - How does this work with services? At the moment I have an ssl cert installed for my hostname that all services use (mail, ftp, whm, etc). Will auto-ssl also take care of my services ssl or will I still need to manually renew/install each year?

2 - From what I've read it seems the free certs are DV. Is there anyway to setup auto ssl with OV or even EV certs? All domains on our server are used for one specific business and EV would make the most sense in our use case. If the whole process can be automated, even at a cost, with auto-ssl and an EV cert that would be fantastic.

Any clarification would be great and appreciated. Having used WHM/Cpanel for probably over 10 years or more it is great seeing something of these new features being added!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @morrow95,

cPanel offers valid cPanel & WHM license holders a free signed certificate for the services on your server's hostname. Information about how this works is documented at:

Manage Service SSL Certificates - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

In addition, as of cPanel 60, the Domain TLS feature offers SNI functionality with the cPanel-signed certificates installed on the individual domain names for the services documented at:

What is Domain TLS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There are no plans to offer free EV or OV certificates through the AutoSSL feature at this time. You could setup your own AutoSSL provider module if you'd like to setup a custom implementation with your own specific certificate vendor and type at:

Guide to Third-Party AutoSSL Provider Modules - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

You may also find this document helpful:

Manage AutoSSL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.