The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Backup and restore help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wicked, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

Making a backup in Cpanel.

I have made backups of two sites and with the file manager in Cpanel i can see the bacup file. These backups were made by Cpanel and are in my home dir.

The server is Linux if that helps.

Now how come i cannot get to them with my FTP program so i can download them to move them to another host?

Can anyone help me out here?

#1 Wicked, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The backup should be accessible - what error do you get through your FTP program?

Alternatively, you could download the backup from the link cPanel provides. Simply go to cPanel > backup > Generate/Download a Full Backup and simply select the backup you want to download.

3. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

Ahh thanks for help.

I was not trying to download the file with the Cpanel link that was supplied. Did not know it did that. I just got an email with the path of where the file resided.

When i looked at the path with Smart FTP i could not see the file. There was no error just could not see the file.

When i looked for the file with File manager in Cpanel i could see file.

Anyways the link worked just fine so i got what i needed.

Thanks again.

4. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

Ok so i restored the backup in Cpanel with the file and Cpanel reports complete without errors.

What else needs to get done becuase the site is still not up yet. Do i have to move the site my self to the public_html directory?

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

May sound silly, but make sure your browser cache is empty, and set it to check for new versions all the time... that's caught me more than once.

6. phyllismc

phyllismc Member

Ok, I'm having the same problem. It doesn't show up on my Smart FTP, and I want to download the backup to my computer's hard drive.

(I have a reason for wanting to do this. My hosts servers have been proving unstable, and at some point, I may even move the site entirely. Therefore, I feel more comfortable if I can have a copy for myself as well.)

Anyway, I saw it in the home directory, but how do I download a copy to my computer?

7. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Have you tried the link cPanel provides as I described above?

8. phyllismc

phyllismc Member

Well, I tried, but apparently I'm not understanding exactly right.

I am in the backup section now, where it says generate/download, and I'm trying to figure it out.

If I want it to go to my FTP, I have to enter some information, and I'm not sure exactly what to enter. I'm trying something now, so cross your fingers.

- - - - - - - ADDENDUM - - - - - - -

Ok, whew! It worked.
    It required me to add in my website name, my log-in, my password, port #, and the name of the folder I made to put it in.

It just took me a minute to wrap my head around it. LOL

Thanks. :eek:

#8 phyllismc, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006