The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel backup (or other) script - Is there a way to have 2 configurations?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Sovjohn, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello there,

I searched for a clear answer on that, however could not find any. Here's the deal:

Is there a way to differentiate the backup configuration per website / websites? I would like to have the following scenario available:

• "Important" websites - daily complete backup
    • "non important" websites - weekly incremental backup

...or something of the sort. From what I have seen so far, I cannot have websites abc doing backup in one way, and websites xyz doing backup in a different way. I definitely do not want (anymore) to have to carry out full daily backup to all websites, since some of them are really unimportant / not updated, and a weekly incremental backup would do nicely.

Do you have any idea guys?

Thanks a lot!

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Well, cPanel do not offer 2 configurations where you can set backups as you stated above. I would have configured daily backups for important websites from WHM >> Configure Backups option and would have had a script that will backup unimportant websites on weekly basis.

Write a script that will backup unimportant websites in a specific folder.
    Schedule the script using a cron to run once in a week say Sunday.

3. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know how to "write a script", that's why I'm looking for something more configurable.

Ideally, I am looking for a way to either use the WHM backup options under 2 different configuration sets (even if I have to run one of these manually), or a more advanced backup script that will allow me to select what to backup, and how often.

I do not believe that all websites on a given server should receive the same backup treatment - cheapskate users could elect (knowingly) not to pay for backup at all, while others might want their data backed up daily (and in >1 locations, if they can have that).

Since the needs of the users very considerably, there must be a way to address this issue...Help?

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would consider reviewing the following feature requests to see if they might satisfy the described requirements:

If there is a feature request you would like to support I recommend sharing your unique comments and thoughts in the applicable thread. :)

Reference: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums