Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel backup query

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Larkolag, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Larkolag

Larkolag Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi valuable cpanel users :)
    I will ask you 2 questions;
    1 - how can I send backup to remote server without having backup into server itself ie i want to use yandex or different ftp how can i do this?
    2- How do I resolve this backup case when the server is slowing down excessively while taking backup? How do I get the fastest way back up?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    You can configure the Backup from within the cPanel to set a backup destination of your choice from the list provided in the cPanel Backup that will copy your backups to the remote server as configured..

You have to configure the backup at the less peak hour as per the traffic to the server. The backup process may take some time and they may be resource intensive at time when traffic is high, however, a threshold is also set for it, so when the load is high on the server, the backup automatically wait for some time and keep track of load and resumes the backup as soon as load is below the configured threshold..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

The advice provided by @24x7server is solid in this instance. I would also suggest that if you're experiencing issues with high load averages due to backups you may also want to exclude some data from the backups. In some cases choosing not to backup user /tmp dirs and /mail cause the backups to complete more quickly and without much strain.

We have a knowledgebase article on how to do this which can be found here: How to Exclude Files From Backups - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you,

4. Larkolag

Larkolag Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thank you for your reply, but as I said, cPanel will never get back into it because I do not have enough disk space to back up directly to the remote presentation I want

I do not want the server to have backups in it, backups need to be taken directly to the remote server how do I do this?

5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

Backups created through the cPanel automated backups will not create backups directly on the remote server. They are always first created locally then moved to the remote destination. If this is a feature you would like to see in the product I would strongly urge you to open a feature request using the link in my signature.

Thank you,