The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel Backup Thinks Daily Backup is up to date, but it's not

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by orty, Mar 5, 2012.

1. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is happening on a couple servers, starting on 2/27/12 on both of them. The daily backups aren't running properly. The backup log has this error:

"[cpbackup] The following backups were already up to date: daily"

But they're not up-to-date. The accounts aren't getting packaged.

If I /scripts/cpbackup --force, it works fine.

Is this an easy fix? I saw a few threads about timestamps and such, but didn't want to start monkeying with things too much w/out knowing for sure.

Thanks!
    -Jake

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you configured the backup properly. Please have a look at Configure Backup just to ensure there is nothing missing.

3. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's been running for years just fine. I've verified the settings in there and everything's setup fine from what I can tell.

4. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Perhaps cpbackup logs can shed some light on this. Can you please check cpbackuplogs on server if you notice any trace there.

5. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Pretty much all the logs for the last week or so look like this:
    So yeah, not too useful :)

6. kennethgray

kennethgray Registered

Jake,
    This means that you have a postcpbackup script that is moving the /daily directory to a directory called /Day_DATE. The problem is that this script most likely replaces the default /daily directory with an empty directory. Cpanel's backup script requires a file called cpbackupstatus.cfg to be in that directory in order to detect how old the backup is (that's the timestamp you were probably talking about). When the cpbackup script sees that empty directory, instead of making a backup, it goes through the truncated procedure you see in the log you quoted and drops a new cpbackupstatus.cfg file to reset the backup time. No backup is made unless you are backing up for the first time, which you aren't. This behavior is different from the way the cpbackup script that shipped with 11.30 behaved. I have 11.32 installed and saw the same behavior.

IMHO, the best fix is to modify the postcpbackup script you are using in order to preserve the timestamp when you move the /daily directory to the archived /Day_DATE directory. I use the script from WhiteDogGreenFrog (a great script, but needed a fix after four years). Look for this code and add the changes in bold text:
    Do the same to the sections for weekly and monthly backup processing, remember to change the directory names as you change the code. This has worked fine for me so far.