The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel BACKUP with Raid 0,1 server ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnBB, Apr 7, 2005.

1. JohnBB

JohnBB Member

Hello All:

Tried to find some info here, but didn't.
    I now have a new SuperMicro Pentium 4 server, 2 HDD, with raid 0,1.
    I see some general explanation about RAID at
    http://www.webhostgear.com/172.html
    .... but how do I set this up now? With RAID, I guess the cPanel/WHM build-in backup system does not need to be enabled for daily or weekly backups, as RAID writes on both drives at the same time. BUT how to set this up? After installing CentOS (= RedHat Linux Enterprise 3) both drives are formatted but I only see one drive booted in SSH.

Anyone here with some starter help on RAID ?

Thanks!

John

2. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When you bought the server, which RAID setup did you specify? level 0 or 1? They are very different... however, the end-result is the same, if you want "regular" backups with a RAID setup (which you should have in a RAID 0 config) you will need a third hard drive. The two hard drives setup in a RAID config would act as a single drive.

You don't really need to use CPANEL's backup in a RAID 1 setup, since all data on one drive is mirrored automatically on the other.

3. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

All our servers are RAID...Do yourself a favor and get the third drive. If the Raid controller fails, at least you can get a backup copy from WHM if RAID fails. This has saved us more than once. ;)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Also, RAID should no be seen as a backup solution. You can still have a drive fail messily that corrupts the other members of your raid set - it's also not uncommon for other drives to fail in sympathy for others ;) As easyhoster1 says, you should have a separate drive (IDE will do) just for backups. If you rely on the RAID set you might well wish you hadn't one day when everything is lost.

5. JohnBB

JohnBB Member

Thanks for your replies.
    I will go with raid at all and do simple weekly backups -- using the cPanel system.

Just tried to format the 2nd drive using the Drive formatting option from within the admin WHM. It didn't work. That means, server didn't come up after rebooting. I had to edit out the newly added lined in /etc/fstab that referred to teh 2nd drive.
    Does anyone have a tip what to do?

Here is how fstab looks like on this server:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

As for the question what kind of RAID ? Well, the server came without software, and the hardware description just reads raid 0,1 ... so I would have to configure it IF using .... isn't it?? Do I misunderstand? If I misunderstand and it is already configured as raid 1, then the 2nd HDD would appear if I do a "df" command in SSH, no??

Thanks again!

John

6. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

I think cat /proc/mdstat should give you some insight into your RAID setup. As everone has said, there is no substitute for a good backup strategy.

7. JohnBB

JohnBB Member

"good backup strategy" -- that's doesn't apply -):
    As stated above, I am trying to format 2nd drive as backup drive but attempt failed. So I wonder why so ....

/proc/mdstat

has this:

Personalities :
    read_ahead not set
    Event: 0
    unused devices: <none>

8. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Your RAID is not built.
    Normally when you order a server, and specify RAID (1 or 5) the DC sets it up.
    For RAID1 you should have had something like this:

Personalities : [raid1]
    md1 : active raid1 hdc3[0] hda3[1]
    78678272 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hdc1[0] hda1[1]
    305088 blocks [2/2] [UU]

And also boot logfile will show the relevant details.

I have RAID1 setup and also have a 100GB remote backup. (which never saw the services going down when i had one drive failed ... except for invisble 6 minutes downtime of replacing the disk by DC)
    That 100GB remote backup (doing incremental backups) for 25$/Mo (on a RAID5 storage server) keeps me worry free and i don't see the load spikes during backups. I would personally never prefer a backup drive existing on the same box (just my personal preference)

For your case, contacting your DC for RAID setup would be the best bet as always.

#8 anup123, Apr 7, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  9. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't do RAID with a remote datacenter, more than one occassion the RAID arrays has become corrupt or one problem or another have caused the 1 disk fail, 1 takes over, swap it out and all all is rosy just hasn't come to plan, due to either datacenter incompetency or a scenario like Chirpy mentioned, RAID array corrupt, 2 disk failures (you need to be on the ball to spot a disk fail in the array, check logs etc and monitor your disks regular. I once had to wait several hours for a RAID array to be rebuilt just so that the datacenter could actually get the /home partition data for a client. You can't just use 1 drive to pop into the server of another and grab the data from it when it's been in a RAID array, unless you use certain types of hardware RAID devices.

1 drive for the OS and 1 drive for backups and send backup files remote too, will generally in the above bad scenarios, which do occur more than you would think, will have you recovered more quickly after a crash, which after all is what you want.
    If you want to say you have raid 1 then go for it, I can almost guarantee that when things go wrong, it might not be as smooth a recovery as you think it should or could be.

10. JohnBB

JohnBB Member

Okay -- the points about raid were made clear. Thanks.
    Anyone would have an explanation why a formatting/partiution from within WHM (using "Format/Mount a new Hard Drive" link) would fail, as described above? This obviously then doesn't relate to RAID at all.

John