The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Damon1, Jan 22, 2012.

?

do you find Cpanel Backup system reliable?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2012.
  1. yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Damon1

Damon1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Everyone,

I have set my server up for automatic Cpanel back for daily/weekly and monthly. I forgot when I set it up. My server crashed not too long ago and now that i am checking into the CPback up folder I see 2 folder daily monthly, they both have the same old data from December 19th. Then there is this very large tar file called "monthly".
    ls-l tells me the timestamp on the tar to be set at Jan. 12. the folder size is nearly 40GB. is it possible that it contains all data from dec 19 to Jan 12? I cant unzip it since it gives me an error.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is the error you are receiving when you try to unzip it? We would need that error to help determine why you cannot extract the archive.

3. joako

joako Well-Known Member

I am also finding the cpanel backup to be unreliable. I am constantly getting all sorts of errors during the backups and also from the hanging of e.g. cp. Also it takes many hours to perform a backup and it is constantly pausing due to claimed "load."

Cpanel support is not helpful to resolve the issues. Really what needs to be done is a direct backup by rsync.

4. EdiTuRminD

EdiTuRminD Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Is it possible to set back up for cron command ?

5. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ticket you had on the issue in June indicated you were using rsync as the first post in that ticket had rsync failure errors in it. Since cPanel doesn't use rsync, the entire ticket (where we were never provided direct server access) was based on trying to get details on a system you weren't providing details about.

I reviewed that ticket last night because of a new ticket you'd opened about the same issue. The biggest concern here is that we cannot support someone when access isn't provided and the customer is not straightforward in telling us the system being used (such as a custom system using rsync).

As for the load, cpbackup will pause for load if the Extra CPUs for server load field is set too low. Increase it in WHM > Tweak Settings > Extra CPUs for server load from 0 to 5 or 10 to see the results. It should then not pause frequently due to load warnings during the backup.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you mean to back up the crontabs in /var/spool/cron and the system crons in /etc/cron.d (/etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.hourly and so on)?

7. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Perhaps you want to say setup backup function using cron??

8. joako

joako Well-Known Member

First let me say I only desire to have one ticket. But you close out my ticket, then open a new one so on and so forth. Very confusing to keep track of it.

So let's go with this one: [cPanel tickets ID# 2721630] Backup process never completes without errors

First besides the backup reliability issues you are well aware you are backing up files that can not and thus should not be backed up, such as mysql.sock file. Attempting to backup this file causes an error. Further, your mechanism for excluding files to backup does not function, and you have failed to address how to make it function.

This issue is still ongoing and still I do not trust the cpanel backup or consider it reliable. Still I Have hanging and pausing/freezing with way too long backup times.

And in that ticket I very clearly state the facts:

1) I am using backup with sshfs mounted. This is supported method.
    2) As an ATTEMPTED TEST I switched the backup to rsync over SSH. I then switch it back to sshfs mounted method. I indicated in the ticket that to modify your code to fully support rsync backup over ssh would be simple. I do not see it as my job to make your backup system work reliably.

So this is where we stand. I would like a solution to have a reliable backup with cpanel.

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel backup does not backup the msql.sock file.

Are you speaking of the cpbackup-exclude.conf file in accounts?

10. joako

joako Well-Known Member

In my system it does.

Correct. I can place just "mysql.sock" or /path/to/mysql.sock or /path/to/* and no matter what mysql.sock is attempted to backed up and fails with the error.

11. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Normal cPanel Backup system does not backup this file, though.

Show me the documentation on this please.

Thanks!

12. joako

joako Well-Known Member

Well can you explain why in my system it does back it up? I don't know anything about the documentation but it seems there are two supported methods:

1) Backup via unsecure FTP
    2) Backup via mounted volume.

sshfs takes place through option 2).