The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel backups now creating dirs and not .tar.gz files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Just asked cPanel to perform a full backup on a hosting account. I was expecting (from previous experience) that it would create a single (large) .tar.gz file. Instead it created a backup directory with all the files, directories, etc. inside - all uncompressed/unzipped, plus a .tr.gz file with 0 bytes. Proof

drwxr-x--- 19 root wheel 4096 Feb 28 11:12 backup-2.28.2006_11-02-14_brains
    -rw------- 1 root wheel 0 Feb 28 11:02 backup-2.28.2006_11-02-14_brains.tar.gz

I would have preferred the old .tar.gz file. Any reason why this changed?

Hang on - looks like I might be half way to answering my own question - I tried the full backup on another account of MUCH smaller size - and the tar.gz file was created as expected. The account (above) that I was backing up was huge. So perhaps for some reason backup dirs are created instead of .tar.gz backup files when the accounts are massive?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Did the account run out of disk quota during the backup? That would explain that happening as the backup does require the quota to be created within the account.

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Good idea! But the account in question was set to an 'unlimited' space allowance. But it probably hit some other space limitation.

No worries - just curious.